Thread: Board rapidly jogs back and forth when measuring length

Question Board rapidly jogs back and forth when measuring length

I recently acquired a B series CW and have been having issues when the sensors try to measure the boards length. I have already reviewed all on the troubleshooting steps, cleaned the sensor, ensured that things are properly lubricated. I have tried several boards of different lengths and widths after verifying flat and square. After centering the board in the machine attempting to run a project or using the measuring feature, the board will move forward and either stop when reaching the end of the board or start moving then will start jogging back and forth ant an increasing rate. I am a newbee when it comes to the CW, any assistance is greatly appreciated. JT

First, make sure the head pressure is not too high. It could be that the x drive is having to work too hard to move the board.

If your rollers are not supporting the board good enough, this will happen as well. Your board must be well supported as it feeds through the machine.

This can also be a indication that the brass roller is loosing contact with the board. If you put a strip of masking tape along the board edge where the brass roller touches that will give the brass roller teeth something to bite into.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I would have to agree with Al. There seems to be something causing the brass roller to stop spinning, which is causing machine to look for the board. A bad spot on bottom of board, which the tape will fix normally. Board bowing in center over brass roller, or tipping up caused by board being to long for roller support set up. Makes sure support are adjusted correct on machine. On longer boards additional rollers are required for added support.

PROBLEM SOLVED, thanks to all that replied. Did all the troubleshooting and even called support, hold down rollers perfect at 82 lbs. board sensor read across perfectly, but jogged rapidly when measuring length. Support said that I needed to take the keypad assembly off and check for dust. Well after taking the side panel off I immediately found the problem. There are four small black wired that run along the bottom of the enclosure and disappear towards the back of the machine just over the PCMCIA slot with the ribbon cables. A second call to support confirmed that these 4 wires controlled the Y Axis board sensors, and apparently are suspect to becoming damaged. A little solder and electrical shrink wrap and I am up and running.... I also protected the wires with some small gauge plastic wire wrap. Again thanks to all!!!!! JT