Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutter/scroll saw videos/demos?

Default Cutter/scroll saw videos/demos?

Hi!

Newbie here in sunny AZ with some questions!

Is there a thread/group for users who use their machines like a scroll saw? I don't carve or pierce. I cut out cursive words. I'm having issue after issue and, honestly, getting very discouraged.
    I think I've got a pretty good handle on the program. Feelin' good there. However, each project I cut I get the "cut motor" error....I've seen in videos to just override it...so I do...it seems to work. The cable is not hot at all and it's only in the first 15 or so seconds of starting to cut that the error pops up. The machine has MAYBE 12 hours on it. The pressure is good. The screws and slides are good.

I mostly use 1/2" mdf with the 1/8" cutting bit. ALL my cuts are "choppy" needing hours of sanding. Is there a way to get a smoother cut? My setting is set to optimal...I'd rather it take the extra few minutes to get the better cut. My rollers are fine. The outfeed trays are a hint below the working piece. The bit that came with it and my new bit produced the same rough cut. It truly sounds like the bit is just gonna snap! It sounds like it's pushing through rock! Is it supposed to sound like it's struggling? I feel like MDF is pretty soft compared to some woods.

I've looked everywhere for cutting videos that are newer than 2009! I know this is a "carver" and not a cutter but you guys are doing it. There must be a trick! Help a girl out! I'm about to loose it! Show me whatcha got!

Thanks in advance!

Maybe if you could post a project file (.mpc) and/or a picture of what you are doing, we could be of more help.

Hi Sherri,

With 1/2 MDF I make it 2 passes. There is a lot of glue in MDF, and that can dull up the bit pretty quickly. Not by wear, but from heated up glue. I use "purple power", kinda like 409, and a brass gun cleaning brush between cut outs. I heat up the soap in the micro, let is soak for 15 minutes, then scrub with the brass brush. Toss in the toaster oven for 15 minutes to dry out.

My first 200 hours were almost all MDF cutouts.

The benefit of MDF is that sanding sponges clean it up FAST. I buy big batches from Harbor Freight. So it looks shaggy, and 30 seconds later you could never tell . Only buy medium and fine. The coarse eats too much off.

Is your font laid out using the program, or are you pulling in images?? Low dpi in an image can cause serious rough edges.

Hi!

Thanks for your response!

Dpi is something I didn't think about!!!! What dpi would you suggest??? I did use a font that I had to tweak in an external program and then import.

The cut motor error has been a topic of discussion for the last three Designer version and yet it still persists. It almost always occurs within the first few minutes of a vector carve or cut. Just press the enter key to continue. It's what we all have been doing for a long time.
    Steve

Hi Sherri,

300 would be minimum, 600 wouldn't be a bad idea

Are you using corel draw or another vector program to tweek the font, then converting to an image? If you will do a lot of vector files, the dxf importer will really make your life easier for what you are doing. Inkscape is a free vector drawing program.

The image below is in pine, but you can see the rough patches in the cut surface. This is sawdust and pitch build up, and is a real pain to get off. There is a lot of heat in a cut, and if the bit is just a little dull, you can see this. I found that making 2 passes really helps, but you may see some stair stepping between passes. This was an early "candy heart" attempt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4020.JPG  

Hi Steve

Thanks for the response. Glad to know I'm not killing it by moving passed the error message.

ya I was WAY off with only 96!!!! Oh pleeeeease let that be the issue! LOL

I use Inkscape since I'm most familiar with it.

I'm gonna try a higher dpi. And then run another one with the 2 pass process and see if I can tell the difference. Time would be an issue in there too I would assume since it has to go around twice?

Learning curves are fun! **said no one ever** LOL LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_185448.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	85831 This was a quick cut using 1/2" mdf just to see if it would finish a piece. You can see the "bumpiness". Going to increase my dpi and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    The cut motor error has been a topic of discussion for the last three Designer version and yet it still persists. It almost always occurs within the first few minutes of a vector carve or cut. Just press the enter key to continue. It's what we all have been doing for a long time.
    Interesting. I haven't had this issue once since the release of the firmware fix some time ago. I used to get it regularly with vector cuts and Centerline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast