Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutter/scroll saw videos/demos?

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Interesting. I haven't had this issue once since the release of the firmware fix some time ago. I used to get it regularly with vector cuts and Centerline.
    It does seem less frequent but it still happens occasionally. If I remember correctly, when the firmware fix was released they claimed that it may not be all inclusive.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-22-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    Steve

2. Default

DianMayfield - if I use a font from the program is it already set at a higher dpi (for a smoother cut)? Where would I double check that?

Quote Originally Posted by CheriWhite View Post
    DianMayfield - if I use a font from the program is it already set at a higher dpi (for a smoother cut)? Where would I double check that?
    Fonts in Designer are vectors; there is no correlation to dpi. Vectors should give better results.

Take a look at this: http://www.clashgraphics.com/printin...tmap-graphics/

The only way that I know of to cut out individual letters in the Designer is to either import a graphic of the letters or place text using the Designer and then outline it as a pattern. Both methods have pros and cons.

As with any other graphic import one must start out with a high resolution model. Taking a low resolution graphic and increasing the DPI in a third party draw or paint program only magnifies the problem. To achieve the best results, the graphic or pic must be high resolution natively. Almost all graphics on the internet will be low resolution unless specifically uploaded differently. Of course, one can use the third party program or the Pattern Editor to clean it up but that usually takes a lot of time.

Placing text using the Designer and then outlining it as a pattern can work okay but the outline isn't a true vector and, other than increasing or decreasing the size, cannot be altered. Sometimes the outlining process produces a discontinuous shape so a cutpath can't be applied. Since it can't be altered, the only other alternative is to trace over the outlined parts with the line tools creating a closed shape.

Some of the work arounds can include assigning a bit to full depth of the board or using a "pierced project". There are pros and cons to these methods also but I'll leave that topic to another discussion.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-24-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Steve

5. Default

Thanks Steve for the insight. I'll keep at it!

6. Default

Great article! Thanks! I do work in AI as well. Question though. Designer can read jpg., gif., bmp., mng (?)., and xpm (?) files. I usually need to tweak a font if parts of it are too thin to cut. When I save it - it needs to not only be a format that Designer can read but that will come out smoothly. Which of these formats do you believe will cut the smoothest?

Quote Originally Posted by CheriWhite View Post
    Great article! Thanks! I do work in AI as well. Question though. Designer can read jpg., gif., bmp., mng (?)., and xpm (?) files. I usually need to tweak a font if parts of it are too thin to cut. When I save it - it needs to not only be a format that Designer can read but that will come out smoothly. Which of these formats do you believe will cut the smoothest?
    As you are using Inkscape, the best would probably be to convert your drawings into vectors in Inkscape, then use the DXF Importer, but of course that is an extra-cost add-on.

I haven't done fonts or lettering, but I did create these oak leaf and acorn designs using Inkscape and imported them with DXF Importer. You can see the smoothness of the vectors. Also, you can scale vectors larger and retain the same smoothness, something that you cannot do with bitmap images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector leaves.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	85838

8. Default

Wow that was a lot of work! Nice job! Part of my learning curve will be to understand what I'm seeing on my screen. It looks smooth. I also had a cut where on the screen it was all black....like it was all going to cut...but 40 minutes later and the only thing that cut were the centers of all the letters...no outside cutting was done. Is there a way to see what will cut and what won't. I read an article about being able to hide part of your design and that part won't cut but I'm pretty sure I didn't do that! LOL
    Mental note: Go practice saving fonts as vectors and importing them. And invest in DXF Importer.

It's not a lot of work. This is the image that I started with in Inkscape. Like you, I widened some of the narrow branches in the paint program. It takes just a few Inkscape clicks to turn this bitmap image into vectors ready to import into designer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oak leaves and acorns.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	85841

10. Default

HI!

Sorry I missed your comment. I have since upgraded to DXF Importer....the answer to all my "smoothness" issues!

Thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12