Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Board shifts in machine part II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Board shifts in machine part II

This is an on going problem I have had for several years and I am once again trying to figure it out, my first post on this problem was on 8/10/2014. The problem I am having is that eventually I end up with an 1/8th inch gap between the board and the left side of the squaring plate.
    The board is perfectly square and flat (I have the same problem when I use the Universal Carrier Board) as was discussed in my post from 2014 I have checked the following:

head pressure - 85lbs,
    the head is level within .001 on a 14" wide board (which I think is good?)
    checked the bolts for tightness on the vertical posts
    the out feed tables are adjusted properly
    I took the belts off and made sure there was no sawdust build up in the springs

I have now discovered that the board stays in contact with the squaring plate as the machine runs the board all the way to the left during the measuring process but when the board starts moving back to the right as soon as it contacts the right pressure roller the board will shift a little away from the squaring plate on the lefthand side then as the board travels it's length again I end up with the gap on the left end of the squaring plate and the right end still in contact. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Are you using sandpaper or rubber belts? Is sandpaper and chance the belt end is rolled up on the key pad end?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I've never checked the belts being square to the plate, as I did not know there is an adjustment to the belts. I've always checked the plate being square to the bit using a framing square aligning the bit at the keyboard side and then at the far side. Will check this out.

I've visually checked the rollers and blew them out with air, both rollers have play in them length wise but not side to side so I would think that is OK. Guess it's possible for a bearing to be bad under pressure. Do you think it would be worth it to pull the rollers out? Not sure how much of a job that is but I could try it.
    I will try lower head pressures first.
    Thanks for the help!

Perhaps the head is not Level, and causes the pressure to be "lopsided" across the board width? Worth checking if you haven't already.

If you want to try the minimal head pressure without disassembling anything, just lower the head slowly with some downward hand pressure as the head goes down onto the board. Stop turning the crank before it clicks.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Could it also be possible that the head is not level right to left as you are looking at the key pad? Just a WFG!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Checked the head level left to right and it is good.
    Flipped the belts starting with the one that the ribs were not parallel to the squaring plate and after I re-installed it checked the ribs again and they are parallel. Ran a board through it and it is staying against the squaring plate even after running it back and forth several times, so am fairly confident I have it fixed! Now just not sure if there is something wrong with the belt or were the springs not applying even pressure. Guess i will wait to see if it comes back and if it does I'll try new belts.

Thank you everyone for your help.

That's great news! Glad you got it licked.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

No rubber belts, they look good

Any chance there is gunk built up in the roller ends, causing uneven pressure?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast