Thread: Problem with just one bit

Default Problem with just one bit

Have a couple projects I was really wanting to get done this weekend - couple of patterns and some centerline text. First two projects used 1/16 carving bit and 90 degree bit and worked fine. Next two projects are killing me. They use 1/16 carving bit, 90 degree and 60 degree. Everything works fine until it gets to the 60 degree bit then I get this "Bit depth does not match". When I put that bit in and it runs over to the bit touch plate it doesn't appear to be going all the way down and touching it. It did at the project start when it runs you through all the bits. I have used this bit in the past without issue so I'm lost. I've verified board thickness, restarted machine, reloaded project and just about everything else I can think of. What the heck am I missing or doing wrong? I have an "A" machine andversion 1.188 of the designer software. Any help would be appreciated.

Last thing - If I just hit continue the carving starts but the bit never touches the board

And yeah I tried to search this but stupidly the search engine returns this message

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
    "Bit depth does -match"

So that's kinda useless but I did try
    "I think heaven is going to be a huge wood shop where all the tools work and nothing ever needs sharpening."
    OldJoe

No one else has jumped in, so I will try. I have an old used A machine I bought, but it had the spindle upgrade to the carve tight, has yours been upgraded? I get that message on all of my machines when I use the split collet, and the bits are not inserted in the collet at the same depth between the initial measure and the carve measure. I use small O rings to mark the depth of the bit so it's the same each time I put it in (there is also a fingernail polish mark on the bit, to keep it the same across all carves). I believe even the tiniest difference will generate the message.

Are there any wires, etc, blocking the spindle from either moving all the way to the right or dropping down to the bit touch plate?

Is the bit plate actually popping all the way out? Does it need to be lubed/cleaned? Does it need to be bent up a little to make it level?

Someone with the original spindle will need to answer if you have not upgraded. I seem to remember that the bits had to be a certain length below the spindle in the original truck. But I cannot recall the circumstances of those issues.