Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Board shifts in machine part II

Default Board shifts in machine part II

This is an on going problem I have had for several years and I am once again trying to figure it out, my first post on this problem was on 8/10/2014. The problem I am having is that eventually I end up with an 1/8th inch gap between the board and the left side of the squaring plate.
    The board is perfectly square and flat (I have the same problem when I use the Universal Carrier Board) as was discussed in my post from 2014 I have checked the following:

head pressure - 85lbs,
    the head is level within .001 on a 14" wide board (which I think is good?)
    checked the bolts for tightness on the vertical posts
    the out feed tables are adjusted properly
    I took the belts off and made sure there was no sawdust build up in the springs

I have now discovered that the board stays in contact with the squaring plate as the machine runs the board all the way to the left during the measuring process but when the board starts moving back to the right as soon as it contacts the right pressure roller the board will shift a little away from the squaring plate on the lefthand side then as the board travels it's length again I end up with the gap on the left end of the squaring plate and the right end still in contact. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Are you using sandpaper or rubber belts? Is sandpaper and chance the belt end is rolled up on the key pad end?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

No rubber belts, they look good

Any chance there is gunk built up in the roller ends, causing uneven pressure?

Had not thought of that, will check it out tonight.

Sounds to me like the squaring plate is not adjusted to be square.

Dan, my sliding plate rocks from front to back, maybe as much as an 1/8in. Do you know if this is normal? Don't mean to hijack, but I keep forgetting to ask! It sometimes allows a board to drift a bit. I can usually fix it by making sure that my outfeed rollers are square to the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    Dan, my sliding plate rocks from front to back, maybe as much as an 1/8in. Do you know if this is normal? Don't mean to hijack, but I keep forgetting to ask! It sometimes allows a board to drift a bit. I can usually fix it by making sure that my outfeed rollers are square to the machine.
    Dian,

The sliding plate should have some play in it and it should never be placed tight up against your board. If it is up tight it could cause the board to jam and strip out the X gears.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks Floyd! That's one more worry down. I do stick a business card in between, helps with board tracking errors.

Thanks for all the inputs, I have checked the squaring plate several times and it is dead on. I have not had a chance to check the compression rollers for gunk build up yet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast