Thread: Error reading memory card on PC

Default Error reading memory card on PC

Last week, I went to upload a project to my memory card on my desktop and got the message the card could not be initialized. I tried all 3 of my cards and the same. I did the same with my second reader and still no work. I went to my laptop and was able to upload no problem to any card using either of my readers. Well, yesterday I went to upload a project from my laptop and now amd getting the same thing on it. I even tried installing the basic software on my wifes laptop with the same results.

Iam running Windows 10 and was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue? Thinking there may have been an update or something that may be causing this. I know the memory cards are good because I just went to my machine and was able to read all 3 of them no problems.

Anyone have any suggestions. I am trying to find a Windows 7 PC around here somewhere to also try but figuried I would check with the experts first. I do not want to drive all the way over to Rockler to get a new reader only to find it is not the issue.

Thanks for any assistance, it will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I been having the same problem for awhile now. I have also asked the group and have tried everything that has been suggested with no fix. I think it might have an issues with the USB drivers the will not recognize the carvewright reader /cards. But this is just a wag. I also need to use my laptop to upload. Just lucky I have an laptop too upload. If you do find a fix please let me know also.
    Bob

Im running Windows 10 and have no upload problems.

I found my old XP laptop and tested the reader on it and there were no problems. I am able to read my memory cards and see what is on it.

It has to be a Windows 10 issue in an update that is getting installed over a time basis for different PC's. I am going to keep looking into it and see what I can find out.

Chris, one option is to set your computer back to a restore point when it was working.

Thanks for the tip. I did a restore back to 2/22 and now I am able to read my memory cards again. It has to be an update within Windows 10 that is causing this issue. Now all I have to do is figure out which one and try and block it so it does not install again. I would think there would be more users having this issue since Microsoft forces the updates on us now.

Will let you know if I am able to determine what the cause is.

Chris

I know this is extreme, but in Windows update, you can set the active hrs to 6am-12am (it's an 18 hr max). Then disconnect or turn off wireless between that time. Windows will still force security updates outside of active hrs, but the big changes will not happen. Then you could connect one night a month for the big stuff. In Win 7, I only did updates the last week of the month to avoid the dreaded First Tuesday mess.

For myself this has been going on for about an year or so now. I have windows 10 on both my desktop and the laptop. Desktop is the one that has the problem. Glad you found an temp fix.
    Bob

Good News!!! There was another Microsoft forced update and now my cards are readable on both my desktop and laptop. Before, I noticed that the card reader came up in device manager with conflict. Now it comes in as how ever it reads the device before.

Just wanted to let others know the problem has been resolved for now.

CHris

been trying to get help but no one answer back here what I am try yo do
    The school ask me to make a a board for them but I would need help if you can , I am willing to pay for your help ,,just tell me what it would cost ,, the size is 24" round and I know it would have to do in 2 pieces and I would put the writing in after

I would pay by certified che or pay pal and no problem there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0990.JPG  
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.