Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd party software

Default 3rd party software

Do we need 3rd party software? Is it easier or not? It seems a number of people use other software as well as the CW. They all have a learning curve and I only have been using CW. I am 70, but do like to learn. I, at one time, was going to get to learn V-Carve Pro, and purchase another machine. Larry

Do you need to use 3rd party software? The answer is it depends.

1. It depends on which add-ons you have.

2. It depends on how familiar you are with 3rd party software that can create the same elements as designer add-ons.

3. It depends on what you want to accomplish with pattern design.

You can purchase pre-made patterns or use shared free ones and carve all day long with the basic designer software (1.xxx). You don't need any add-ons or 3rd party software.

If you want to create new patterns or build patterns for yourself, then it depends on which add-ons you have. There are 2d and 2.5d considerations as well as chip carving add-ons that allow you build new patterns. There are the equivalent 3rd party software that can do similar if not exactly the same thing you can also use. The difference is they are not integrated into designer so there may be some additional steps to bring them into the designer software.

So if you have all the add-ons the need for 3rd party software is greatly diminished. If you don't have all the add-ons there are 3rd party software that can be used to create specific elements that can be ported to the designer software.

Sometimes, a person may have mastery in a 3rd party software so it's easier for them to create patterns in that software.

I use a 3rd party 3d modeling software to create my patterns. I could do the same if I used the designer 3d software add-on but after many years of using that 3rd party software I am comfortable using it. It would take me time, money, and effort to learn to use the designer add-on software and it is no where near a powerful as the 3rd party software I use. The designer software doesn't have to or need to be. It is good enough for creating most patterns but for me I enjoy using the other software. It was a challenge and an enjoyment to learn the software, though I am far from being an expert at it.

So back to the question, I guess it depends on what you goals are for yourself and what investment you want to make in time and money.

Oscar, would you be willing to share what 3rd party software you use?
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry, I use or have:

Blender 3d (free) for 3d modeling and creating stl files. I also use it to convert obj. files to stl. files.
    Meshlab (free) to repair 3d files broken meshes and to reduce file size (blender 3d is getting better at this so don't use this much).
    Corel Draw ($$$) (Inkscape is a free version of this)
    ShaderMap 4.0 ($) for depth maps/height maps
    Gearotic 3 ($) I still need to learn this software but it looks super cool. I allows the creation of gear chains automatically. Can export to dxf or stl formats.
    Zbrush ($) 3d sculpting. Still no clue on how to use it.
    Last edited by oscarl48; 02-27-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Hi Larry O'shea
    100% - The new stuff cost a lot; I tested a lot of it. Us old People;(May 25th I will be 80 years young) we need to draw a different image. Start with a Line Drawing - Then change into a 3D looking image. I like to use Vector Magic to change the image in to a vector; that deletes all the Square junk in a raster image. Next I use the ShaderMap Programs to give it a 3d look. I think the new cost is about $40.00 for a #4 unit - the first ones were Free. (I still save all of them.) Do you have a privet E-mail or only your company one (Cedarwoodworks.com) - I need to send you this program set. I have other Pattern programs. This one takes about 15 minuets to make the 3d part, I have well over 5000 pattern files. - I also have a program to make STL programs from my 3D Carving patterns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hunting Dogs 20 inch plack_DISP-cw-2.PNG  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 02-28-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I guess I am older than you BJ. I will be 80 May 9. I have all the CarveWright add-ons and all three versions of Designer installed. I sometimes use ShaderMap, but rely heavily on editing the colors of pictures using Paint.NET (free with frequent updates or $3 in the Microsoft Store with auto updates) If the lettering in a logo someone sends me looks solid color, I pick up that color, select the letter with the magic wand and dump the color in the letter clearing up irregularities. Then use Pattern Editor to clean it up more, adjusting some heights with the same process I used in Paint.NET, then smooth it in Sculptor. And I also create patterns using 2D then 3D. I have been doing this since Dec of 2007 and have wanted but never needed the expensive3D software. I still plan to learn Blender someday.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Just finished another project for my personal library. Wanted to show it off. I don't have this but if I had $2.5K laying around doing nothing, I know what would look great on me.

This was a modeling practice piece. About 6 hours from start to finish over two days. Dimensions are not correct but close enough for a cnc pattern.

It is hard to get good depth references from a single 2d picture so made up a lot of stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW machine pistol.png  

Very good detail, Oscar! That came out great!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael, thank you. I was very pleased on how well the detail came out. This is what it looks like as a 3d render.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine pistol2.jpg  

I love the render. Are you using Blender to do the render?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast