Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShaderMap 4

Default ShaderMap 4

ShaderMap 4 is out. The pro version is $50 for new buyers and $34.00 as an upgrade for previous owners. There are some cool features which I still haven't learned from the last version which have been improved. So have to find time to learn this program now as well. Has some cool features for 3d modelers in material creation. It should fit well into my modeling pipeline.

It seems to be free for non-commercial use. (I tried to pay the $34 to upgrade but could not find a way to do it.)

I have not yet had a chance to play with it.

Dan, I read the free version may have a watermark so purchased the pro.

It was not a super easy process to actually purchase it. I had to log into my account and then I had to search for the upgrade button. If they want your money they should make it easier for us to give it to them. Regardless I am impressed with the software...again. Still don't know how to use it but it does make pretty materials.

From a picture I made in Paintshop pro it gave me this texture material. I am impressed on how fast and easy it makes it for me to create these types of textures.

For blender users, the new Cycles engine PBR Principled shader in version 2.79 has node inputs that you can directly connect and blend ( displacement, normal, occlusion, specular maps). For non-blender users, by blending these different images it gives the illusion of depth and geometry where none actually exists. So shadermap is a really cool tool for 3d modelers that want to create their own materials.

The displacement images are what is important for CW designer users because it gives a digital depth to images that the CW software interprets as real depth. In this case the 2d illusion is converted to real depth by the CW software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brushed aluminum material.jpg  

Thanks, I did find the upgrade button. I have yet to figure out how to create displacement maps from 3D.

Another thing which could really be interesting is to create normal map pictures of real objects with colored lights and use them to create displacement maps.

That would be an interesting experiment.

By displacement maps are you referring to the grey-scale bas relief maps or displacement bump maps for textures?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    That would be an interesting experiment.

By displacement maps are you referring to the grey-scale bas relief maps or displacement bump maps for textures?
    Just grey scale height maps to carve. (Bas relief would be nice, but I do not think Shadermap has a way to do that.)

Nope it doesn't. I have asked the programmer of the software, he said interesting,but he did not have the time to write the code, etc.

Scooby, good to know.

Dan, I thought you had blendercam. That should be able to make awesome height maps. I have never figured out how to install the software.

I haven't tried in a while so may have to try again. The node setup I use is pretty good but not perfect and not as good as the old bas relief node that is no longer compatible with current versions of blender.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Scooby, good to know.

Dan, I thought you had blendercam.
    I do but it is complicated and I have to relearn it whenever I use it! I have been using Sculptor for creating bas relief since it is very user friendly.

I have and have used Shader Map 3 but don't really understand it. I got the upgrade notice but was wondering if I could rationalize the upgrade. Are the upgrade features worth the upgrade and where can I find instructions/tutorials? Only directions I got were from BJB which I used and I posted my version of a rubber ducky.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast