Thread: Help, repaired & upgraded machine-sensor problem

1. Angry Help, repaired & upgraded machine-sensor problem

Hey guys and gals,

I'm in a really bad way today, I recently sent my machine to carvewright to be repaired and got it back about 2-1/2 weeks ago and went to use it for the first time today (Sunday 2/25 ) and slid the card into the slot and picked my project etc.. My problem is this every time I try to go through the menu to get the project started I keep getting the clean board sensor error and after several tries it will not go past the error message!!
    I'm trying to keep calm but I spent a very good sum to get this thing going again and think I shouldn't have to work on this immediately after getting it back, is there something I'm doing wrong? when it asks if I want to stay under the rollers I press yes and that's as far as I can get it to go.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Chuck.

Have you done a board sensor reading check? 0 7 on the key pad and arrow down. The reading should be 130 and up. Move the head across the board and view the reading to see if it stays constant across the board and drop to 0 when the head goes off of the board.

Also verify that the ffc cable in plugging in all of the way into the card on the back of the Z truck.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

what if reading is 27 or below
    jeff

DO NOT FEED ! THE DRAGON

To make that number around 156 you should crank down a board with a sheet of white copy paper on the board. Your choice of board could influence the number as it is reflective light off the board. A walnut or dark board will give you a low number.

Next we have the Shop Lighting. Bright lights or even a CCTV Camera like I use can cause problems as the 6 LED's from the camera flood the area with light blinding the board sensor.

So lets start with the white paper test...

Next is the possibility of the FFC cable has a broken wire... Moving the head manually while still over the white paper looking for big fluctuations. Off the edge of the board the number should go down. Like Headlights on your car, you only see stuff if the light is reflected back into your eyes. If you shined the light into a field at night you would likely not see anything.

Next if the number is still 27 is to crank the head up and remove the sensor and if the window shows dust inside... I would remove the window by cutting the back of the sensor off and remove the window. I use tape to seal the back of the sensor back up.

Picture 5 shows the top connector of the board sensor. I always recommend buying the 4 wire cable when you buy a board sensor. It will aid you in troubleshooting where you can plug in a new sensor on top and check the numbers holding it up to white paper. Half splitting the troubleshooting.

Also the components soldered on the circuit board can be ripped off if you are not careful. The components have a silk screened box around the component that aids you in seeing a MISSING component especially the one near where the plug is connected to the circuit board.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BS1.jpg   BS2.jpg   DSC09540_WEB.jpg   DSC09541_WEB.jpg  

DSC08492_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08503_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-17-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

thanks Al been a long time. I did all you said except remove cover before posting. I removed sensor took it apart cleaned inside of lens reassembled now it works fine. did not have to do any cutting it pried off 2 long plastic pins holding it in place. how dust could get inside some thing so small. back to making my next master piece.
    thanks for your reply, keep it clean
    jeff

DO NOT FEED ! THE DRAGON

Good Job... I think some dust comes in from the top cable slot and it just migrates inside the board sensor where it fits into the metal frame.

Putting some masking tape on the back might help seal it.

Might even get in around the plastic window....

Good Job prying the back cover off... I am going to try that... and mention it in a future board sensor post... Good Find... thanks... Learned something new.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08505_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com