Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making outlines of spaces between vectors

Default Making outlines of spaces between vectors

Good Morning. I am new, here, I just got my machine yesterday and I am still figuring out all the things that the software can do. I have designer pro with the 2D suite and the 3-D modelling suite. I have made a design where the vectors I have placed create continuous "spaces" between them. I would like to set different depths on these defined spaces (or add a texture) Is there a way to turn them into surfaces without retracing each of them as it's own vector? I am sure that this is simpler than I am making it! Additionally, does anyone know of any "hammered" (like with a ball peen) textures that are available?
    Many Thanks, in advance,
    Mike

Post your project file (.mpc) so that we can get a better idea of what you are trying to do.

MotawiImproved.mpc
    I have vectors that define each of the shapes, which are routed along the path. I would like to be able to "select" the spaces between the shapes for treatment. I hand "drew" a few of them... but I figured there was an easier way. AS for the texture, I am looking for something like this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hammered.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	85652

I think I might have figured it out. I made the works into a pattern. THEN I used the outline tool and searched for the right path. Now can I take that path and make it a vector?

Welcome to the group. Here is a quick texture.

There is a slight learning curve with the machine but you will be making saw dust in no time.

- Oscar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW hammered metal texture.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm not following what you mean by "spaces between the shapes". Do you mean the space enclosed by your vectors i.e the second "Unnamed" item in the Carvings list?
    Last edited by DickB; 02-23-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Oscar,
    Thank You. I have downloaded this file... not how do I turn it into a texture? I have already done a few carvings and I am blown away by what both the software and machine seem capable of.

I mean the spaces NOT enclosed by my vectors. I played around with just tracing the edges of my vectors... and that worked fine... but I was trying to figure out if there was a way to turn the "negative" space, not defined by a vector into a vector with as few clicks as possible.
    Thank You for your time!
    Mike

Mike, it will depend on what you are aiming for and the complexity of the project. If it is complex it may entail grouping different elements of the project and using merge functions and clip carving functions.

For just two elements, the texture and the object you want textured, just use [clip carving: inclusive] on the texture.

But keep playing with the software and go through all the training tutorials on the CW website. With the add-ons you purchased you have a lot of creative options to build your projects.

I have designer 2 which does not allow me to open your project so just guessing. I use third party software mostly to build my patterns but it is way, way easier to use designer add-ons. You give up a little control but you get software that you can use effectively in days if not hours. You also don't have learning curves that are cliffs and software that takes years to learn (i.e. CAD, CAM, 2d vector graphics, 3d modeling software).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW texture set up.png  

Mike,

If I understand correctly, you want the hammered effect behind (even at same level I will call it "behind", as that would be the way to lay it out) your vectors.

The software can merge and clip things that are layered, so that pieces on "top" block out elements "behind". There are several tips and tutorials, as well as a bunch of posts. Steve Nelson has done quite a bit of those explanations lately and they are very easy to follow. If you click on his user name in a post it will allow you to see his recent posts.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Oct07.pdf
    http://support.carvewright.com/proje...ner-tutorials/ (look for descriptions that have clip or merge in them)

Good luck, and welcome to our very own version of the funny farm!!

PS-Oscar... I clearly had this window open so long you already replied!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast