Thread: Vector Group

Default Vector Group

Playing around with vectors today. Wondering - What does the "Vector Group" function do and why would I use it? I see that it can only be used with closed vectors. What does the CW SW do with it?

I've been mostly away from my machine for a few years.
    So I'm a bit rusty, and upgraded to pro a while back, so you'll probably get a better answer from someone else, but I'll have to do for now.

Vector groups allows you to v carve the shape.
    It allows the machine to carve the shape as a continuous line vs. The back and forth path it normally takes, so it's much faster to carve.

I just stumbled on this about a half hour ago.
    http://support.carvewright.com/learning_guide
    Scroll down to chapter 4, it explains vector groups in more detail.

There is also a thread here that's a couple pages long that discussed it, and showed some nice examples.

I'm surprised it isn't discussed here more than it has been.
    I think it's an awesome feature, one I really had wished for years ago when I was running my machine more.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

"Vector Groups" is the name LHR uses for V-Carving. Essentially, it is a 2D carving using a V-bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vector Group Example.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-21-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    Steve

My 1st photo shows a couple of vectors carved with a 90V set to .2" deep. Pretty normal looking. My 2nd photo is the same but the 2 vectors are in a Vector Group. The outside carve line is still present but it has added an inside carve line which appears to be .375" deep. I do not understand what it has done and why, and why is it .375?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-Carve1.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	85634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-Carve2.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	85635
    Steve - also, could you post a small sample of what your photo (MPC) so I can see how it is done?

http://support.carvewright.com/learning_guide

I tried to download the entire guide but when clicking on the link it said forbidden.

I just downloaded it and it works fine for me, not sure what your is but thanks for posting the link. Seems like they added several samples since I saw it last. (or maybe it's my failing memory)!

In the examples, notice that all vectors in the group are closed. In the carving list, select all of the vectors you want included in the vector group, right click on the selected vectors and select "Make Vector Group". In the setup screen, everything that is red will carve and everything that is green doesn't carve. Much like Centerline, the depth of the bit is determined by the spacing between the lines. If you draw your own vectors it can take a considerable amount of time. Even using a good drawing program like Corel Draw or Aspire. I didn't draw these so I don't feel comfortable uploading the file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectors only.png   Vector Group Setup.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-21-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MRcarvey View Post
    My 1st photo shows a couple of vectors carved with a 90V set to .2" deep. Pretty normal looking. My 2nd photo is the same but the 2 vectors are in a Vector Group. The outside carve line is still present but it has added an inside carve line which appears to be .375" deep. I do not understand what it has done and why, and why is it .375?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-Carve1.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	85634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-Carve2.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	85635
    Steve - also, could you post a small sample of what your photo (MPC) so I can see how it is done?
    Vector Group attempts to carve the inside of your closed vectors with a v bit, much like a chip carving. Designer limits the depth of V bit cuts in Vector Group (and Centerline Text) - it must, or else the bit would push through the board at large-width closed vectors. So, the bit may need to make multiple adjacent shallower passes to carve out the whole interior of the closed vector. In my opinion this is not aesthetically pleasing. (One would not design a chip carve which such large/wide areas.) Your closed vectors are too big to achieve a nice chip carving - like result. Try shrinking down your closed vectors to 1/4 size or more to get a better idea of what a good result is.

BTW you would not normally assign bit to a closed vector AND use Vector Group - another reason that your result looks strange.

Thanks guys! I understand now

Designing the v-carve or Vector Group is most of the work. Since the depth of the bit is determined by the spacing between the lines one must keep the spacing fairly narrow. Vector Groups or Centerline is the same thing. It's just v-carving. The Designer will not make successive passes to cleanup the area between the lines so if the spacing is too wide or if the Centerline text is too large it will leave "islands". The size of the text in the example shown is about 34" by 5".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Islands.png  
    Steve