Thread: .5" Carved hole vs. .5" drilled hole

Default .5" Carved hole vs. .5" drilled hole

I am working on a project that I am going to be using some dowel rod. The thing I found was that if I create a circle and set it as a carve region at .5", it is a larger hole then a drilled hole set at .5".

My question is, which is the right one to use for 1/2" dowel rod? I also have one hole that will take a 3/4" dowel. I need them to fit snug and not loose.

Which should I use to create the holes that I need?

Chris

The drill hole will be more accurate. Doing it with a carve region the sides of the hole will be tapered do the the profile of the carving bit
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank Floyd. That is what I thought but wanted to be sure before running the project.

You will have to use a cutting bit to drill the hole to insure a strait sides.

Also the tip of the carving bit will follow the circle size, so that will add 1/16".

The cutting bit is recommended, but you might want to run a trial or two and vary the specified size. In fact the 1/8" cutting bit is slightly larger than my 1/8" drill bit. I build clocks using brass tubing as arbors. The cutting bit is just not accurate enough for a tight fit. I drill undersized holes and follow up with regular drill bits.