Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I won't give up, until I get this My version of a cutout that I want to make

1. Default Any help?

Hi All,

*****Is there anyone who can offer me help? I get a lot of views but no tips***?

Yes, it's me again......I have been reading and practicing and think I may be getting close to achieving my cutout. I just want to know if I have the right steps and do you think this will carve? I know Christmas is past, but I am determined to get this so I do it for this year, and we know it is just around the corner......LOL. Thank you for any advise, and have a Blessed Day. Also Happy Valentine's Day

Loriblackdog
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Loriblackdog; 02-16-2018 at 03:35 AM. Reason: wanted some feedback from forum

This looks like a simple project. Will it carve? Yes. However I do see room for improvement:

1. Nothing is centered. I'm a bit OCD that way, but I would center the cutout circle on the board and then center the elements on that circle. Use Layout-Center-Both for the circle, and Layout-Center-Horizontally for the text.
    2. The inner circle doesn't seem to do anything and should be deleted-or given a purpose.
    3. The cutout is too close to the edge unless you plan on carving this in a jig or sled. If no jig, make the board wider, or the circle smaller.
    4. The points on the stars are being cut off by the circle cutout--I'd move 'em in a bit.
    5. The cutout should likely have a max depth of .25 so it will do the cutout in two passes. Easier on the bit and the machine.

Those are my tips. Have a fruitful day!

G-
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

What he said, except I would use the 3/16" cutting bit and do it all in one pass.
    Also, your text and patterns are all skewed. To resize, grab a corner. Never the sides, top or bottom. To keep text the same size when it is two different elements, copy and paste, then edit the second, so you don't have to guess at the size.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

4. Default

Hi G,

I want to thank you so much..This is exactly what I needed, and I am really trying to learn. So are you saying to delete the inner circle? I am not sure how to center the cut out? Also I am trying to make a jig? I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you so much and have a Blessed Day.

Loriblackdog

5. Default

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the info and the hint about copy and pasting text to make sure it is the same size. I am going to try both ways to see which is better. Thanks again for the hints. I am trying to learn.

Thank you
    Loriblackdog

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    Hi G,

I want to thank you so much..This is exactly what I needed, and I am really trying to learn. So are you saying to delete the inner circle? I am not sure how to center the cut out? Also I am trying to make a jig? I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you so much and have a Blessed Day.

Loriblackdog
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-02-17.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	85608

To center, click on the carving element, the cutout in this case, and on the layout tab choose Center, then Center both. The cutout will center. You can center the text horizontally the same way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

7. Default

Hi G,

Thanks again, I have seen this but wasn't sure if I should use it. It is the little details, that I sometimes don't know, but if someone could explain it to me I would get it. Have a Great Weekend.

Loriblackdog

Your project is carving away more wood than needed. This will add time to your carving and unnecessary wear on the bit.

By moving the cursor around on your project, you can determine the depth of carve at any given spot (look at the numbers in the lower left). Your letters are .137" deep and background is .250" deep, yielding a letter height from background of .113".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	depth at pointer.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	85614

By raising the height of the letters to the surface of the board, you can then raise the height of the background and save time and wear and produce less sawdust. I would set the background on this project to .125". Uncheck "Pierced" from the lettering, and set the letting depth to .125" (same as the background). (That is not strictly necessary, but I think is a good habit.) Set the lettering height to 999, which brings the letter tops to the surface of the board. This is going to result in lettering at .125" difference, actually slightly taller than your original project.

The stars were originally set to a depth of .200", so with your background of .250" you are going to get an added .050" edge or step not in the original pattern. In some cases that may be desirable, but I would do the same thing to the stars as the lettering: set the depth to .125" and the height to 999.

9. Default

Hi Dick,

Wow now that is the kinda help I need, I didn't know to look down at the bottom for the height and depth. You state to UnCheck the pierced and put depth at .125 and height at .999. What bit or bits should I use, for this type of pattern I really appreciate your help..............If I know why I should do something it makes me understand what I am doing.. Have a Blessed day and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
    Loriblackdog

Standard 1/16" carving bit would be good - you do not have a lot of detail which would call for the 1/32" bit. I would probably carve on "Normal" to save time, as you have large flat areas that can be sanded easily. But you could also use "Best". (This is selected when you upload your project to the card.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast