Thread: Zaxis stall and flash card

1. Exclamation Zaxis stall and flash card

I have recently been getting a z-axis Stall that happens at the same point no matter which project I am carving. The first thing I tried was reformatting the flash card and re-uploading the project. This allowed me to complete 2 signs before it went back to stalling at the same point. I clean the rails and lubricate regularly. At this point, I ordered and replaced the FFC cable. Still stalling. I had gotten a trojan virus on my computer that I used malware bytes to remove. there is no more trojan being detected, my computer still runs very slow. Some times when finding the bit, the z truck will move in a jerky fashion. Is it a corrupt flash card that needs to be replaced? or something worse? Any insight on this would help tremendously. I have a bunch of orders to get out and don't want to miss out on taking more orders this weekend. Thanks.

The jerky motion could be dirty rails or bearings. You might also try reflashing the firmware and verify that you are running the most current version, check for updates. Verify that you do not have a cracked/torn FFC cable and that it is seated properly in the connection on the back of the Z truck.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

I did reflash the firmware, replaced the FFC cable with new one yesterday. I have not updated to 1.188 still running 1.187. connections are good. rails are clean. bearings seem fine. ztruck test results A=79.68 M=201.58 moved smooth during that test.
    I have two new flash cards on order and will ukpgrade the firmware to 1.188

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D Jessa-Loop Designs View Post
    I did reflash the firmware, replaced the FFC cable with new one yesterday. I have not updated to 1.188 still running 1.187. connections are good. rails are clean. bearings seem fine. ztruck test results A=79.68 M=201.58 moved smooth during that test.
    I have two new flash cards on order and will ukpgrade the firmware to 1.188
    Okay, it sounds like you have checked/done a lot of the most common causes. I suggest doing the upgrade to the latest version of designer as that will have a new firmware version. Worth a try even before you get the new cards.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

5. Default

I will give it a try. i think my card got corrupted from computer virus.

6. Default

After Upgrading to 1.188, still stopping in the same spot z axis stall. I will hope then new memory card will do the trick.

I am known for thinking outside the box... My famous WAG's.... Wild AL Guesses... Most are worthless but every once in a while I get lucky...

So... 1. Any chance your outfeed table is adjusted too high and as the project gets to the HIGH tray, the board is pushed up on the metal roller on the end of the tray. This tilts your project board up and the bit comes down and hits the board before it expects it... causing a increase in current and triggering a stall....

2. Any chance that your machine is stalling on the UP Stroke, with the flex shaft snagging on the underside of the black cover.

BOTH can be troubleshoot by starting a project known to stall. After the project starts... 1. Open the cover stopping the machine. then 2. Remove the BIT.... and 3. Remove the Flex Shaft and pull the inner core as your going to start the machine back up and you don't want a WILD FLEX...

This will show if it actually IS a software issue.... Be SAFE... Remove the moving core before starting the machine.... And if your machine has a SPRING inside the flex, remove that too... and carefully store it... I have stepped on a few in my day...

And after that.... Remove the cover over the X Gearbox and look for a single broken tooth in the X Drive... Causing the X to jam into the bit causing a Z stall.

All WAG's....

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05673_WEB.jpg   DSC05672_WEB.jpg   DSC05691_WEB.jpg   DSC05689_WEB.jpg  

DSC05692_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-14-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

8. Default

Ok the z truck moves up and down a little rough. the bearings all move I keep seeing in the replacement pdfs that if the truck moves rough, adjust the z motor pack gears. I can't see how to do that. the back of the z motor is clean around the little plastic disc. If i take off the z motor can I clean the gears?

9. Default

Thank you all for your input. I removed the z motor and have determined that the bearings aren't moving as smoothly as they should. They appeared to be fine but further investigation has proven otherwise. I have a big order going in for parts and tools and bits as well as a second machine so I won't have this down time in the future.