Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Machines Down

Default Two Machines Down

Well, I must have irritated the carving gods recently. Need some diagnostic help. Both machines having issues now.
    Machine #1: Goes through the measurements, finding bit, etc, perfectly. Carving pattern message displays, and nothing. No movement in Y or Z, but I do see X belts moving slowly in the reverse of what they should, and cut motor is not on. I have never seen this before. FFC? I have already reflashed and reformatted card.

Machine #2: Y axis is quite erratic, numerous Y axis stalls, hearing an occasional grinding like noise with Y movement. This unit has 551 hrs on it. Am thinking perhaps Y motor?

Standing by for inputs....

#1.. So the reformatting and re flashing the firmware did not change anything? My best guess is the controller. Swap out the controller from #2...

#2... Bad Y gear box bearings if it has not been serviced in the 551 hours. It is highly recommended to do so around 250 hours..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

#1 I would check the brass roller for problems. The x drive could be trying to synchronize with the brass roller. (Push or pull on the board when it does the slow crawl.) Also could be too much backlash in the x gears.

Bergerud, what do you mean by backlash?

As a thought, after noting that during the length measurement, at a random spot, I would get CHECK BRASS ROLLER message. So, I swapped brass rollers, and again same message, different spot. Another thought, could a slight out of square cause this? Essentially over stressing the X drive? I hope I am missing something, really dont want to have to replace the controller! lol....

Also, I did the push/pull per your guidance, I did get the cut motor to start once, but at the very end of the board.

Mike

Backlash in a gear is the amount of movement one gear has over the other. When you move one gear back and forth there will be play before the other gear moves, this is backlash. Badly worn gears increase the amount of backlash. There should be a small amount of lash to prevent excess pressure on the gears. A very small amount.

Is the brass roller pressing hard against the bottom of the board? Is the rubber damper under the brass roller? As an experiment, you could try taking off the O ring.

OMG, I feel like such an idiot! Tested another board, another pattern, no issues. Just for S&G's I ran original project board through table saw thinking perhaps just a bit out of square? Sure enough, it was and was probably causing a bind in the X. Up and running fine as I am typing this....

Yes, its all about the brass roller, its also about a STRAIGHT board! LOL

Disregard previous happiness....

30 minutes into it, this happened..... New Y motor ordered....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Feb 16, 12 28 23.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	85600

Quote Originally Posted by flyingemt View Post
    OMG, I feel like such an idiot! Tested another board, another pattern, no issues. Just for S&G's I ran original project board through table saw thinking perhaps just a bit out of square? Sure enough, it was and was probably causing a bind in the X. Up and running fine as I am typing this....

Yes, its all about the brass roller, its also about a STRAIGHT board! LOL
    Another reason to use a sled or jig.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Another reason to use a sled or jig.
    Well, since its the first time its happened to me since initial purchase in 2008, I dont use sleds that often, but something to consider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast