Thread: How do you know what bit to use for carving text?, Carving Pattern

1. Default How do you know what bit to use for carving text?, Carving Pattern

Hi All,

I have done a couple of carvings, but I noticed that other people use different bits, how do you know what to use and when?

If I have text?

If I have outline?

Or just a pattern, also the machine stop when you need to change bit?

I have tried to find info on youtube but was unable. Is there somewhere that gives an idea of what to use?

I really appreciate any help you can send my way. Thank you in advance and have a Great Day

See my comments in red..

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    Hi All,

I have done a couple of carvings, but I noticed that other people use different bits, how do you know what to use and when? The bits used are based on what you design into your project and the bits you select for doing so.

If I have text? Raster text is the default carving bit, centerline is the default V bits either 90 or 60 degree.

If I have outline? default V bits either 90 or 60 degree.

Or just a pattern, also the machine stop when you need to change bit? All pattern type carves use the default 1/16" ball nose carving bit. You can change the bit through the board settings. The same bit is used for all pattern carves on the board. Meaning you can not carve one pattern with the 1/16" bit and another one with the 1/32" bit. Yes if there is more than one bit called for in the project the machine will pause and ask you to install the bit required for the next part of the carving.

I have tried to find info on youtube but was unable. Is there somewhere that gives an idea of what to use?

I really appreciate any help you can send my way. Thank you in advance and have a Great Day
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.