Thread: X Termination Board

Default X Termination Board

Been having problems with my cut motor's RPM's idling down to nothing about a minute or so into a carve (truck still goes back and forth/up & down, just no spinning).

Finally got around to looking into it a little more, and took a look at the X Termination Board.

Not sure if it's the cause or not (hoping it is, since it's a cheaper replacement than a new motor), but I noticed what looked like some melted glue or signs of high temps? Thoughts? (P.S. - the problems started after a 10 hour carve).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3454.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	631.9 KB 
ID:	85564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3453.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	538.4 KB 
ID:	85563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3450.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	624.6 KB 
ID:	85562

Yes that resistor looks bad.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Have you checked the cut motor brushes?
    Steve

Being a Electronic Guy, I am not a big fan of the Goop on the Resistors. They are designed to dissipate heat and putting a blanket on them, I believe will lead to failure. I have never seen a resistor snap off due to vibration. I have seen the lolly pop Capacitor snap off 3 times in my machines but back in the QC Days of high speed vibration.

The Resistor could be bad, but my money is on the Cut Motor Brushes like Steve suggested.

I think the goop on Resistors was not very well thought out. And just could be untrained technicians doing what they think is right with little oversite or Quality Control.

I have never had a X Termination Board burn up, but I have collected some pictures.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X Term board.jpg   Burnt X Termination.jpg   DSC08069_WEB.jpg   DSC07813_WEB.jpg  

DSC07811_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-10-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Brushes have been replaced, so those have been ruled out.

Then it is the Termination Board or a Crimp connector on the motor circuit.

It was posted about a year ago where a loose connection inside the cut motor was causing the same problem.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

We had a fuse in the motor that had a loose crimp. It was under the "sleeve" covering the fuse.

The resistor glue does seem awfully dark on your board. Once you get the new one in, you could look locally for replacement resistors to repair this one. One of the guys that works at my company used to do small electronics work, and replaced mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capacitor 8-8-15.PNG   WireThinning.jpg   StaterOverloadFuse.jpg   OverloadFuseConnections.jpg  

Arcing.jpg   Motor-melted wire - wire piece loose.JPG