Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loriblackdog cont'd words for decor

1. Default

Think playing with the blue and purple dots will allow me to alter parts of a skinny font???

Quote Originally Posted by CheriWhite View Post
    Think playing with the blue and purple dots will allow me to alter parts of a skinny font???
    Yes, it will.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Why are you setting an inset?
    After I flipped the cut path, I gave the cut a negative inset to get the cut on the outer most edge of the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    After I flipped the cut path, I gave the cut a negative inset to get the cut on the outer most edge of the pattern.
    That's what the flip cut path does - puts the bit at the outer edge. Additional inset should not be necessary.

Take the pattern and do what I stated with it and see how it looks than decide. I did it to see what it looked like and liked it.

6. Default

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I'm trying to learn the designer program and understand it's tricks. The blue and purple dots....I'm loving that I can tweak fonts. HOWEVER, do I get blue and purple dots while working with the designer program fonts or are they part of a file that is brought over from the ....(forgot the name)....DXF Importer program??? Wondering if I need that other program if designer will do what I need.

7. Default

I deleted the file so I can't attach it. I was cutting a name. I used one of the fonts in designer. Got it to do all the things I needed. It was all outlined in black (like where it would cut). I flipped the board just to make sure the cut went through the board. HOWEVER, 40 minutes later...the cut ended...the only thing that cut was the capital R - including the center of the R - and then only the centers of the "e", "g" and "o". It was a 3' x 12" name. I'm sorry I can't attach the file...but with the whole thing outlined in black...how was I to know that it would only cut the centers out? Is there a place that shows me if I've not captured the whole image to be cut? Does that make sense? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by CheriWhite View Post
    Sorry for all the newbie questions. I'm trying to learn the designer program and understand it's tricks. The blue and purple dots....I'm loving that I can tweak fonts. HOWEVER, do I get blue and purple dots while working with the designer program fonts or are they part of a file that is brought over from the ....(forgot the name)....DXF Importer program??? Wondering if I need that other program if designer will do what I need.
    The blue and purple dots are control points for vectors. They can be manipulated when you create vectors with Designer tools such as spline, line, and connected line, or imported using DXF importer. I used Inkscape to create vectors from the "hello" text, then imported the vectors using the DXF Importer. In Designer, when you use the Text tool you can use the Outline tool to create cut paths, but these are not vectors and you cannot manipulate them like vectors. To tweak fonts as you put it, you would need to create the vectors with Inkscape and use the DXF Importer as I did.

9. Default

1. In Inkscape can you not just type the text, tweak it (adjust the nodes) and save? I'm not sure I've ever "created vectors"...not knowingly at least.
    2. In Inkscape - What format do you save the file as so that the importer can read it?

3. If a font from designer is used....it's not a vector and we've decided that vectors cut smoother and faster...correct? Are we on the same page?

10. Default

This is a font....in Designer. The "bumpy" cut is how the end result will be....am I correct?

The only way to get a smooth cut is using a separate program and importing using DXF...am I correct?

I'm trying to justify getting that add-on. If that's the only way to get a smoother cut then it's worth it. Hours of finish sanding is just a waste of time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (6).png 
Views:	14 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	85855

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast