Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loriblackdog cont'd words for decor

1. Default Loriblackdog cont'd words for decor

Here is the other attachment that I started in carvewright, not sure what I do next to achive the word like it is piecred, but still attached at the bottom. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could show me how I go about getting this productFAMILY-1.mpc. Thanks so much I know I always get the help I need here. Have a great week.

Loriblackdog

Lori,

I outlined the font and base, then deleted the text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails family.PNG  

Lori,

This is an intermediate to advanced user project. You may have to practice a few times to get the results you want.

When I make this kind of name signs I usually make them pierced. Otherwise, the 1/8" bit has difficulty getting into the small spaces for the cutouts.

Here are the steps I used.

1. Place and size the text. I used the font “Times New Roman” to match your example but, I have found that "Snap ITC" usually works best. Set it to “Raster”, bit optimization to best, and remove the feather.
    2. Draw a rectangle below the text. Size it about 1" wider than the width of the text and about 1" high. Move it to overlap the text at the bottom about 3/8" and make it a carve region with a depth of 1/16"
    3. Center both horizontally.
    4. Select both text and rectangle and use the “Outline Patterns” tool.
    5. Delete all paths except the outside perimeter
    6. With the outside perimeter path selected, use the “Path Offset” tool to offset the path to the outside .2".
    7. Select the offset and make it a pierced carve region.
    8. Draw lines for the manual tabs and make the style flat, width 3/16", height 3/16" and the depth .75".

There are many ways to enhance this carving. Some of them are:
    Puff the text and the rectangle
    Round the top corners on the rectangle
    Make the text and the rectangle a pattern. Then use the pattern and push it deeper into the board to get a thinner finished carving.
    You could also just start with a thinner board.

I also try to use a wide board and rotate it to carve the sign across the grain. This helps to avoid the thin parts of the letters from breaking off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Faith Name Sign.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-06-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Wording, grammer
    Steve

4. Default

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input, I have a couple of questions how to I puff the text? when you say may the text and the rectangle a pattern, I know I have done that before, just don't remember how. I am not sure on drawing manual tabs flat style? I appreciate your help, and understand if you are busy, I really don't want to be a bother, but I am trying to learn. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Lori

Lori,

Puffing is part of the 3D add-on package.
    To make a pattern, select the text and the rectangle carve region and group them. Then, in the carving list, right click on the group and select "Make Pattern".
    Steve

6. Default

Hi Steve

Thank you. I don't have the 3D add on. I have now marked down to make pattern put rectangle around what I want to be in pattern, group then go to carving list and "Make Pattern. The only other question was drawing manual tabs "flat style" is there any tips & tricks that tell about this. Again you are so nice to help me out. THANK YOU!!!!.

Lori

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hello word.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	85837

This is my end goal. Cursive words cut out of 1/2" mdf or another type of wood (but that's not the issue at this point). Nothing special. I have watched countless videos which have been fabulous...but dated. Although the info is still pretty accurate...the latest and greatest version might have other options. I would PAY ANYONE who would please give me a step by step on how to achieve this. I wrote everything down I could think of....tried it a few times....started from scratch just to see if I could do it again but nope...I HAVE to be missing a step. There's only like 10 steps! This should be super easy! My order is out of sync. I understand the 7" rule. I leave and inch at the top and bottom just to please the cutter gods. I could give you my steps but you pros out there may cringe! I'd gladly reciprocate with anything vinyl design....anything photoshop. I'm obviously overthinking this program!!! LOL Thanks in advance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CheriWhite View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hello word.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	85837

This is my end goal. Cursive words cut out of 1/2" mdf or another type of wood (but that's not the issue at this point). Nothing special. I have watched countless videos which have been fabulous...but dated. Although the info is still pretty accurate...the latest and greatest version might have other options. I would PAY ANYONE who would please give me a step by step on how to achieve this. I wrote everything down I could think of....tried it a few times....started from scratch just to see if I could do it again but nope...I HAVE to be missing a step. There's only like 10 steps! This should be super easy! My order is out of sync. I understand the 7" rule. I leave and inch at the top and bottom just to please the cutter gods. I could give you my steps but you pros out there may cringe! I'd gladly reciprocate with anything vinyl design....anything photoshop. I'm obviously overthinking this program!!! LOL Thanks in advance!!!
    Place and size your selected test font style on the board as a raster carve.
    With the text selected use the outline tool to make an outline around the text.
    Delete the font/text leaving only the outline.
    With outline selected use the cut path tool for setting the cut path parameters.
    You will probably need to use the "flip cut" (located at bottom left on the cut path box) to move the bit path to the outside of the lines.
    Do any inside paths of the letters separate from the outside path.
    Last edited by fwharris; 04-23-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Lori,

This may or may not help. Ask Bud made some wonderful video tutorials on using designer. If you haven't seen this one its on cutting out texts. He explains a lot of the steps in detail.

The process is easy and also not easy depending on the font and application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIjhVH4KLyY

Regards,
    Oscar

10. Default

Those are my steps....but it won't give me "cut path" for the inside pieces (inside the "a" and such).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast