Thread: Broken Hinge on Outfied Tray

Default Broken Hinge on Outfied Tray

My 90-year old mother decided the outfield tray was a good place to hold herself from falling and snapped the hinge:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180127_192503_a.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	85515

Before I randomly try various glues, does anyone know of a good glue for this repair? Thanks in advance...

David

Ouch!, Hope your Mom is OK. I have had good luck with JB Weld on parts like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    My 90-year old mother decided the outfield tray was a good place to hold herself from falling and snapped the hinge:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180127_192503_a.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	85515

Before I randomly try various glues, does anyone know of a good glue for this repair? Thanks in advance...

David
    I too hope your Mom is OK.

Two options in addition to the JB Weld posted above.

One is a EYE BOLT drilled through the bottom case with a hole small enough in the eye to put the screw and an additional washer.

Second is to mount BOLT feet to the side of the outfeed tray, something as simple as screwing a small block of oak to the outside edge of the feed tray to hold a through hole bolt making a leg. This would be an addition to the JB Weld taking the weight off the weld.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

4. Default

I have used this stuff before. It worked on a broken case where the posts connect to the base of the machine on a used A machine I bought.
    https://www.amazon.com/Plast-aid-Mul...ords=plast+aid

Thanks everyone - that should give me what I need. And my mother didn't get hurt any when it happened - but more recently she suffered a seizure that she's still recovering from but is doing good overall. She turns 91 tomorrow (Feb 6).

Thanks again!

David

That plast-aid is some good stuff. I have a large bottle of it and threw away my old jb weld, this stuff puts it to shame. Just my 2¢ worth.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Just a followup - bought the plast-aid sometime last year and finally had a chance yesterday to actually try to fix the snapped hinge. Followed the directions to mix the plast-aid, pasted some on the broken hing, clamped it together and let it set for a while. Seems to be solid but haven't tried running a project through it yet. Have a project to make so hopefully I'll get to it sooner than later...