Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Board Sensor!!!!!!

1. Default Need Board Sensor!!!!!!

Hey all,
    I bought my machine from an individual retiring and traveling the country for only $800. This included the router bit kit, extra cutting and carving bits plus many extras...FANTASTIC DEAL. However, my boardsensor S*it the bucket a few weeks back mid carve while working on my first MPC bought from the store. I ordered a new one but it is on back order for who knows how long. Does anyone have an extra "new" boardsensor they wouldn't mind sending me and i'll send the new one I get in the mail back to you? I am trust worthy if that is scaring you a bit and would provide all contact info of me for your records to ensure you get the sensor back. I'm anxious to get carving, I need something to do...Thanks in Advance.

did you try cleaning the sensor? sometimes dust gets inside and blocks the eyes.

You can cut the back off, that little bump... Then pull the little window and blow it out.... Unless one of the LED's has snapped off or you pulled a mini surface mount component off the Circuit Board pushing on the plug.... You can clean it.... Then tape it shut...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08509_WEB.jpg   DSC09540_WEB.jpg   BS3.jpg  

BS1.jpg   DSC08501_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I always like to see photos of what you are explaining, but, would you mind loading those into paint and adding some arrows and text. I can't really tell what I'm looking at. I've never had the board sensor out and I want to be prepared.
    Thanks!

5. Default

When I took the old sensor out to try to clean it, the plastic was so old that the holes where the screws hold it in, broke and its pretty much useless now. unless I can glue it back in place until the new one comes but I don't want to damage anything else you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewiz View Post
    did you try cleaning the sensor? sometimes dust gets inside and blocks the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by shortyscwater17 View Post
    When I took the old sensor out to try to clean it, the plastic was so old that the holes where the screws hold it in, broke and its pretty much useless now. unless I can glue it back in place until the new one comes but I don't want to damage anything else you know?
    I had something similar happen several years ago. I made up this simple bracket out of sheet aluminum (may be available at a hardware store or hobby shop). Been working fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180127_140437_Film4.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	700.8 KB 
ID:	85492

7. Default

And it doesn't affect the measuring of anything? My fear is that it would negatively affect it and measurement would be off.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I had something similar happen several years ago. I made up this simple bracket out of sheet aluminum (may be available at a hardware store or hobby shop). Been working fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180127_140437_Film4.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	700.8 KB 
ID:	85492

Quote Originally Posted by shortyscwater17 View Post
    And it doesn't affect the measuring of anything? My fear is that it would negatively affect it and measurement would be off.
    No, no impact on measurement. The optics are completely clear.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

So what the board sensor does is shine two LED's or Light Emitting Diodes in IR Light just like your Remote Control. In the middle is a sensor that will see reflective light. When your measuring a board the machine is looking for the edge of the board. It does this by watching the reflective light off the board. Once the head or the board moves out from under the sensor. As in finding the board right edge or width or the front and back edge of the board in length. It is really seeing a lack of reflective light. Sort of like driving in the country with car at night. Your lights don't see the field but if a road side reflector is in it's path you see the reflective light.

I like the metal board sensor holder. Great picture too.

So in my pictures posted above... WAY BACK.... You can see the date on the picture... I pulled the cable for the board sensor down trying to get a better angle to plug it in... I pulled the wire down along the track and it PINCHED the wires as seen in the last picture. When the wires got pinched, they shorted... I got a Open cover all the time and no board sensor or rubber rollers as in my case I took out the 5 volts. The other 2 wires of the 4 for the board sensor are that signal of reflective light. You could have pinched wires and ONLY get a board sensor not working.

The other pictures are close up's of the board sensor and one is missing a LED as they broke off in the early units when the circuit board was not glued to the black plastic holder. The vibration would snap the LED's.

Hope that helps your questions as to what you are looking at.

One last thing.... I have a Wireless Video Camera looking at my machine when carving. It has 6 IR LED's. I was having problems with the machine finding the board edge. Turned out that the Camera LED's were flooding the area of the board and the sand paper belts with enough IR Light that it blinded the sensor... IT ALWAYS SAW Reflective Light due to my Camera.... So I turn on the camera AFTER the board starts carving and I walk back to my other shop next door to listen on the wireless intercom and watch the monitor.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 01-28-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

10. Default

I was able to remove the backing and cleaned the window. Guess now I need to make that metal piece like you have there and see if I can get my machine back up. I might have some thin aluminum laying around somewhere around my home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast