Thread: Y rail

1. Default Y rail

Only got into carve about 4 minutes and it stops with a message, Clean Y Rails. I clean very well with a light coat of Teflon. Re start, runs a few seconds, same message, Clean again. Over and over about 8 times. I shut it off and quit for now.
    I get a sick feeling in my stomach that there is more than cleaning needed.
    It worked fine yesterday through 2 carves and no problems. How did it go from good to bad in my dark shop over night.
    If anyone knows what I might need to do, sure could use a point in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Ed

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edsingletary View Post
    Only got into carve about 4 minutes and it stops with a message, Clean Y Rails. I clean very well with a light coat of Teflon. Re start, runs a few seconds, same message, Clean again. Over and over about 8 times. I shut it off and quit for now.
    I get a sick feeling in my stomach that there is more than cleaning needed.
    It worked fine yesterday through 2 carves and no problems. How did it go from good to bad in my dark shop over night.
    If anyone knows what I might need to do, sure could use a point in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Ed

It could be the ffc cable.
    Steve

The Y Gearbox is shot as in the 2 685ZZ Bearings if you have the first version. A new Y Gearbox has 2 different size bearings in them.

When the bearings fail the big plastic gear pulls toward the center of the machine and rubs against the machine U shaped frame slot it sits in.

Hopefully you catch it before the shaft of the gear gets worn. They don't sell the gear only. Just a new gearbox.

IF you have any Z Gear boxes laying around they will swap and work.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC00486_WEB.jpg   DSC09643_WEB.jpg   DSC09644_WEB.jpg  

DSC00488_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 01-22-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The machine is seeing a resistance in movement in the Y travel. If cleaning the rails and bearings does not correct it look for a bad bearing or tighten the Y belt.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

5. Default

Thanks guys, I'm sure I replaced the y gear thing in 2016, along with the cut motor and some belts. My mistake was that I noted everything I replaced and even put the date, should of noted the hours. I will from now on.

The rule of thumb is to replace the Y Gear Box Bearings every 250 cut hours when you change the cut motor brushes. Brushes are cheaper than the 1/8th inch carving bit when the motor stalls in a cut from too short brushes.

Look at the U shaped area that the Y Motor sits in. That is where when the gear wobbles from loose bearings, it rubs on the U shaped metal frame causing the error. Clean Rails. Since you cleaned the rails then this is the next step.

IF you had a white gear, you could take a marker and mark the gear on the belt side. Then when it rubs, it rubs the marker off the plastic.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

7. Default

Thanks, seems like 250 is the magic number.