Thread: Flash Device Could Not Be Initialized

Default Flash Device Could Not Be Initialized

I know that this has been brought before ( did do a form search) but I have tried just about everything. I have had this problem for over a year on my desktop. What I have been told by CW is that I have a problem with my USB's . I have two cards and readers, I have tried every port on the desktop. Windows 10 sees the reader is plug in and that it says something like setting up the software and then says ready to use. I know that both sets of readers and cards are good because they work on my laptop. My work around has been to copy the file to a memory stick from my desktop to my laptop than to the card. I had my son look at the software for the newest updates and other settings. Any ideals?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    Bob

The only thing I might suggest is to uninstall designer and reinstall it.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks Floyd
    I will get that a try again. there has been several update to windows so maybe this will work this time.
    Bob

No luck. After I removed and reinstalled #3 I realize I never tried it with the other 2 version no luck there either. So I would say that LHR is correct that it is in my USB's. (software?)
    On a quick thought I do not have the older two versions on my laptop, but I'm sure that can not be the problem because others have all 3 on their computer also and heard of no problems.
    (I did run as admin and followed the PDF on the CW website.)
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rnichols View Post
    No luck. After I removed and reinstalled #3 I realize I never tried it with the other 2 version no luck there either. So I would say that LHR is correct that it is in my USB's. (software?)
    On a quick thought I do not have the older two versions on my laptop, but I'm sure that can not be the problem because others have all 3 on their computer also and heard of no problems.
    (I did run as admin and followed the PDF on the CW website.)
    Yes you can have all 3 versions installed on your computer, they are 3 different platforms. I do find it strange that your usb ports will work with your flash drive but not the CW programmer card.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Yes you can have all 3 versions installed on your computer, they are 3 different platforms. I do find it strange that your usb ports will work with your flash drive but not the CW programmer card.
    To add more confusion, when the drive is plugin I see this and when the drive is removed I don't and the cards work on my laptop. I guess I'll give up again for now. I do not use my two carvers as much as I like to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	85428
    Bob

1. Are there any other devices pluged into a USB on the computer? If so try unplugging them and try again. Something might be conflicting with the card.
    2. Go to Control Panel > Printers and Devices. Is anything showing up as Unidentified? If so update the driver.
    3. Unplug the power cord, hold the power button for about 10 seconds to clear the reserve power, unplug any USB's, plug the power cord back in, turn the desktop back on and try the card again.

Thanks Scooby I'll try this but I know that my keyboard, mouse is also USB and some other items in the back that I will need to double check what they are. Almost everything is USB any more. I have shut down and unplug a month ago when I blew the dust out. I do have a different key board I could use (cheap one) it has never be used. Thanks for the ideals I will unplug one at a time to see if one is the problem.
    Bob

Really should shut down daily. A reboot cleans out bad stuff on the motherboard. Every computer (even people) need a reboot sometimes.

I am not totally sure on windows 10 but this has worked on all other vers of windows
    Press Windows+R to display Run
    type in devmgmt.msc and tap OK
    Scroll to the bottom and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Start with the items not listed as keyboard and mouse and right-click it
    Select uninstall - do not delete the software if it asks.
    If you delete the mouse, just use the arrow keys to navigate
    If you delete the keyboard, reboot, start over and work around the keyboard device
    select each device and uninstall all until Universal Serial Bus controllers is no longer visible
    do not uninstall other devices
    shut down the machine for a few minutes - turn it off, do not do just a reboot
    if you do not shut it down, it may not correct the problem
    when your PC comes back up it should re-install all devices in Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Check in device manager
    Plug your devices in one at a time letting the PC recognize them
    Start the Designer Software and then plug in the card reader with the card installed
    Hopefully the card will work now.