Thread: Need help with a project

Default Need help with a project

I am building a lamp out of a surveyor's tripod and transit as a donation for a group I belong to. I am trying to cut out a small table top that will fit inside the tripod legs with tabs that will slide into the 2 sides of each leg and rest on a leg support. I was hoping to be able to cut out the top using my CW, but don't seem to remember how to put the facets together and outline them. I can highlight all the aspects and simply use a bit to slightly mark them and then cut them out by hand, but the CW would do a nice job and be easier. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought I have done this before, but don't seem to remember how...

TriPodTableMod.mpc
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Try .. group them all, make pattern, outline pattern, then delete the pattern you just outlined It won't let me do it because you "own it"

You could use the trim tool if the Designer would allow trimming on a circle. Alas, it does not. I made this one in a 3rd party drawing program and imported it as a DXF. If you need to make it into a pattern, use the line drawing tools to trace over my drawing then delete it.

EDIT: For that matter, since you already have taken the time to draw the shapes, use the line drawing tools to trace over your own drawings to create a closed shape.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-12-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Steve

I tried that as well, Diane, but for some reason it wouldn't let me do it either
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

That should work, Steve....thank you much...not sure why I couldn't group them...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme View Post
    That should work, Steve....thank you much...not sure why I couldn't group them...
    Your original drawing will work if you use the line tool to close the 3 rectangles. Then select everything including the circle and make it a carve region. Use the "Outline Pattern" tool. Even though it isn't a pattern the outline pattern tool will outline the shapes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-12-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Steve

Thanks for the lesson, Steve...appreciate it. Never know when I may need to do this again...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    You could use the trim tool if the Designer would allow trimming on a circle. Alas, it does not.
    The trim tool will work if you make the circle out of two arcs.