Thread: Which is stronger

Default Which is stronger

I am creating a template for some birch plywood that is 12X60. I can get MDF or Premium Melamine. My question is, since the template will only have 1" in each side, which is stronger? I may widen the template to 14.5" for an extra 1/4" but wonder which of these two will work better and last longer while not being used. I know I will have to be real careful whit it when not in use, thin sides.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

I would think they would be close to the same. Melamine is usually just MDF with the melamine coating.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The project I am doing is a cut through. Multiple pieces glued together. Would you recommend using a sacrificial board on the bottom that is 1/4" think, more or less?

Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180106_162738.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	85368
    Quote Originally Posted by cjones View Post
    The project I am doing is a cut through. Multiple pieces glued together. Would you recommend using a sacrificial board on the bottom that is 1/4" think, more or less?

Chris
    What I have done in the past when I need a quick sled, I use either a 1/8 or 1/4 hard board what ever I have handy. I do not add the extra thickness to the pattern. I has worked very well for me.
    Also I used double stick tape to stick it to the hard board.
    Last edited by rnichols; 01-06-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added picture
    Bob

I have used Melamine but use 2 layers of tape for the tracking roller to grip. Yes to the sacrificial board. Attach the sides to the waste board and it will strengthen your template.