Thread: Got a CW machine for Christmas

Red face Got a CW machine for Christmas

Just got the machine spending lots of time reading and looking at post. cannot wait till I can get some sawdust going.

Keith

Welcome! Gotta warn you, it is addictive

Did you get a dust collection system? It is REALLY important to keep it clean. Watch out for shop vacs inside. Always turn the machine off and ground yourself if you go in with the vacuum - lots of electronics in there.

Where are you located?

Have not gotten dust collection system yet looking at some now. Located in Las Vegas

Welcome to the forum and the CarveWright!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Welcome to the forum and the CarveWright!also you will enjoy it,, and lots of learning
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Welcome to the forum, you will have lots of fun and be amazed at what you will accomplish. But, please listen to Diane's advice. If a dust collection is in the budget-do it now. It will save you a lot of frustration and money. Good luck.

thanks for the advise and encouragement

Welcome! Ask questions--you'll have lots--and we've all been there!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

WELCOME !!!

I use the metal dust hood and love it They also make a plastic version too. http://www.ringneckblues.net/dust-collector-insert/

This is a good place to learn too. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041312339227740/

Best TIP... Learn to understand the 7 inch rule of wood. There is 3.5 inches between the rubber rollers and the bit or 7 inches total between the rollers. The machine likes it when the board is being held FLAT to the belt drive as it keeps the board in contact with the brass roller. IF the brass roller looses contact with the board the cut will be off in length. It's a dance between the Designer Board Length and the Physical Board and if you select to STAY under the ROLLERS.

I design my projects with a block 4 inches on the right side of designer that I cut off after the project cuts. I have been saving the blocks and plan to make FLY BOXES from them. I also TAPE 4 inch blocks o9n the end of the physical board.

IF you get mixed up and tell the machine to stay under the rollers and your project is too close to the physical board length then the machine will ask you... SCALE the PROJECT?. IF you say YES, then the carved project will be 7 inches smaller or scaled.

I draw a 4 inch box in designer on the right side. Remember the Brass Roller is on the top of the screen in relationship to the machine. In the bear and deer cut out, I tape a 4 inch block and leave the board LONG then cut the project off after it carves. I also use PLACE ON END rather than center.

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW 3x.jpg   DSC01984_WEB.jpg   DSC01987_WEB.jpg   DSC00924_WEB.jpg  

DSC00797_WEB.jpg   b2.jpg   DSC00793_WEB.jpg   B3.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-28-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I agree with Al about the dust hood. The metal version is head and shoulders better than the plastic one. I have 3 machines, 2 with the metal and one with the plastic version. I will soon be purchasing another metal version and replacing the plastic version...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...