Thread: Monor X board tracking issue

Default Monor X board tracking issue

Carved a crib board yesterday and with all of the back and forth of the board during the carve it got off about 1/32 on the X tracking. You can see how the lines between the holes do not quite line up. It is an original 'A' machine with only the CT chuck upgrade. Will just the rubber belt upgrade fix this or are other upgrades needed as well (like the X-gears upgrade)? I'm using the UCB but it has the same issue without it. Machine works fine in all other respects.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crib1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	538.9 KB 
ID:	85423
    I posted this question on the CW FB page but didn't get any responses except don't do cribbage boards on the CW.

It could be a problem with the machine requiring too much from the x drive. Check things that could cause excessive drag on the x drive. Head pressure too high? Head level? Squaring plate square? Saw dust fouling the belt rollers? Out feed rollers adjusted too high?

I suppose it could also be too much backlash in the x gears. Are they old and worn out?

Sandpaper - hum. Belt edge rolled under?
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-14-2018 at 10:43 PM.

I would recommend both upgrades. The gears are going to fail, so they need to go. I did my first crib board with sandpaper belts with a few tracking errors. My next with rubber had none that I could see, so I feel the sandpaper belts do allow for a little slippage. If you are ordering check the motor brushes, it6 would be a good time to get them since you are ordering anyway.

I would run the project again on your sled even with the same board shown. But I would run new masking tape down the bottom of the sled on the brass roller area PLUS run about 4 more the length of the sled on the bottom to give the sand paper something to bite into.

That is my take...

I have a tracking error I need to fix tomorrow where the board walks away from the brass roller over time. Need to change both sand paper belts and clean and level the head.... Even I have problems... Have not used the machine since summer.... Have some Slots to cut in 3 Accountability Boards. Starting to get busy again.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I had already turned my computer off as it is close to Midnight and I had a thought.....

Has this art carved correct yet?

The reason I ask is that it is a known fact that "Line Restraints" or "Attachments" where a line or hole has the distance to the edge of the board turned YELLOW as in RESTRAINED.

Sometimes a single Restraint can pull off the artwork as the machine is trying to follow a "MUST DO" command from you.... As in you set this restraint and the machine must do it... If the board varies in width or length from board to board or sled to sled it can do THIS....

So look at each item on the board. Are any YELLOW? A Quick way to delet all Restraints or Attachments at one time is to select ALL and Copy ALL. Then Select ALL and DELETE ALL... Then PASTE and all restraints should be gone. OR do them one at a time and select "Remove Attachment".

Good Luck,

It's either a machine problem or a Designer Problem. This will half split it... as will the Masking Tape...

AL

VOID.... IT DON'T WORK THAT WAY..
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 01-16-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Good thoughts! Could not find any attachments. Will try it again with fresh tape and the cut/paste idea. Down now for a couple of weeks waiting for parts. It broke the bottom right cap screw holding the bearing on the CT spindle. Must have been a bad screw as the CT has only been installed for about 30 carve hours...
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    The reason I ask is that it is a known fact that "Line Restraints" or "Attachments" where a line or hole has the distance to the edge of the board turned YELLOW as in RESTRAINED.

Sometimes a single Restraint can pull off the artwork as the machine is trying to follow a "MUST DO" command from you.... As in you set this restraint and the machine must do it... If the board varies in width or length from board to board or sled to sled it can do THIS....
    Al,

Can you give an example of where this has happened? I use constraints extensively on my projects, and have never had this happen, including with cribbage boards.

While it's true that you can set an attachment relative to the edge of the board, it doesn't necessary follow that the machine code generated will actually measure from that edge for that object. I have, like I'm sure you have, often watched the machine running. The only time the machine finds the board edges are at startup. In fact, in some cases (with a long board or sled), the machine never finds the right end of the board. So, how could the machine be placing an object from that undetected edge of the board if I placed an attachment to that edge? Let's say I placed a Drill hole midway on the length of a project board and attach it 1" from the bottom of the board. Would not the machine have to find the far edge of the board (looking at the board in the machine) at the midway location if what you said takes place? I have never observed that.

I don't think that the use of constraints or attachments has any impact on the generated machine code. I think that as long as all Designer objects are placed in the same location, the generated machine code is the same. In other words, if you add or remove a constraint or attachment without changing the layout, the generated machine code is the same.

(BTW the Designer term is "constraint" not "restraint" - just saying to avoid confusion.)

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Al,

Can you give an example of where this has happened? I use constraints extensively on my projects, and have never had this happen, including with cribbage boards.

While it's true that you can set an attachment relative to the edge of the board, it doesn't necessary follow that the machine code generated will actually measure from that edge for that object. I have, like I'm sure you have, often watched the machine running. The only time the machine finds the board edges are at startup. In fact, in some cases (with a long board or sled), the machine never finds the right end of the board. So, how could the machine be placing an object from that undetected edge of the board if I placed an attachment to that edge? Let's say I placed a Drill hole midway on the length of a project board and attach it 1" from the bottom of the board. Would not the machine have to find the far edge of the board (looking at the board in the machine) at the midway location if what you said takes place? I have never observed that.

I don't think that the use of constraints or attachments has any impact on the generated machine code. I think that as long as all Designer objects are placed in the same location, the generated machine code is the same. In other words, if you add or remove a constraint or attachment without changing the layout, the generated machine code is the same.

(BTW the Designer term is "constraint" not "restraint" - just saying to avoid confusion.)
    I stand corrected. And thank you for the correction on the terms. I am not really that good on the software side so Thank You for the correction.

AL