Thread: Oramask procedure?

Default Oramask procedure?

Have seen a number of references to this product [Oramask] related to its use in protecting/painting letters, etc.

As usual, when a project comes along the might benefit from it's use, I consistently seem to draw a blank on where I saw the info.

Ran a search on the forum and got one return - from 2014 - where it seemed to break into the CW community.

Anyone care to point me in the direction of information on how to use the Oramask film? Initial application would be lettering carved into the workpiece [Centerline w/V-bit] which I would like to paint without said paint bleeding into the uncarved surface area.

Any guidance Greatly Appreciated!

Merry Christmas, Ya'll!!

keninar
    Ya gotta have a dream - otherwise you're just sleeping!

I just got my first order of Oramask 813 which is most recommended for the use you are thinking of using it for. I got it for the same application. It took almost 1 week for me to receive it, I'm Ok with that. I made 5 small signs (8x14). I pre-painted them all then applied the Oramask. The first three signs I did the Oramask was a bit loose for painting the carved v areas. I did an 1/4" ball nose groove all around and that turned out bad for all signs. The plastic just shredded up. The last two signs the mask seemed to adhere mush better. All bits used were new first time carves, I was crunched for time so wanted as little clean up as possible. I bought 10 yds of it so I am anxious to try more. I have two thoughts on the lack of success of the process. First, maybe I did not apply it properly, but I have used similar material in the past when I worked at a sign shop. Secondly, I am wondering if during the delivery the glue may have froze because of the time of year. In theory this is great stuff and so many swear by it. Probably me not applying it properly! I do recommend trying it and hopefully mastering it. Hope this helps

I had no idea what this stuff was so I did a Google search. I seen it on Amazon as well as a few other sites. Not sure what your intent is for this stuff but I can see a few ideas where it can be used. Thanks for the ideas.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

My next carve I will pre Varathane my unpainted board. Then Oramask, carve, paint the exposed carved areas. Remove Oramask, sand or light plane and finish with Varathane again. When I had a pre painted board with varathane then carved, then painted, I found that there was just too many flaws. The carving machine did a great job but my painting skills took away from the carve. Just me being really picky.