Thread: How long before using glued up boards

Default How long before using glued up boards

I glues up 3 pieces of cedar yesterday afternoon and was wanting to know how long one needs to wait before it can be carved on. I have a 10 hour plus sign to print on it but want to make sure it will not come apart while carving.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Jones

I usually wait overnight. Have never had an issue doing that with boards coming apart...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I usually go by what is printed on the glue container. I should state the curing time needed before working with the wood.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

White and yellow glues are set up well enough in 8 to 10 hours to preform work with the wood. The machine is fairly gentle in work process(as long as bit is sharp)and works with joined woods well. Before finishing I like to give 24 hours or more after glue up before sealing, just to give it a better chance of having a longer stronger glue joint life.

I've carved glue ups after a couple of hours when i was in a hurry with no issues. I wait a day or so before finishing, but I haven't had an issue carving that soon. Usually use TB3.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

I will echo what others have said... you can pretty much run your job within a day. I have been in a hurry before and set my glue up in the morning and unclamped it and run my job 6 hours later.
    John

Thanks for all the feedback. I glued them up in the afternoon and was able to carve the next morning. Project held together well.

Chris