Thread: Switching bit in a project

Default Switching bit in a project

I have been working on a project from a picture but after converting it I am unable to tell it to use the 90 degree bit and not the carving bit.Horse Tree.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse Tree Pattern.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	85201Horse Tree.mpcHorse Tree.mpc

Patterns from images can only be carved with the carving bits. Vectors, designs that are made from lines, can be carved with either the carving bits or the V bits.

There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to convert the image into a font glyph with third party software, then use Centerline Text to carve it with a v bit. The other is to convert the image to vectors with third party software, import the vectors with DXF Importer, then use Vector Group (Designer Pro). If you have or are willing to get these add-ons I can explain in more detail.

If you don't have the add-ins to convert the image to a vector, you can send me the file and I can try. If you don't want it publicly available, send me a message and I will give you my e-mail address (although it is just my user at gmail dot com ) The one attached to your post is pretty small.

I just got DXF importer so that I could do things like this, so I had to give it a try - a learning experience for me. I used Inkscape to create the vectors from your attached graphic. Not sure how well this is going to carve. Because the lines are narrow, I applied the 60 degree bit, but you can change that. It is a Designer 3 file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse Tree vector group.PNG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	85202
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for your help. I will give it a try. I have centerline and Project 3 but unless I changed each line I had no way of changing the bit used.