Thread: Need help with pattern

Default Need help with pattern

I found this pattern online in PDF format. I exported it to an image and opened it in Pattern Editor. I was able to clean it up for the most part but want to see if I cannot get the vines and leaves on the cross itself to stand out more. Not sure how to go about doing that.

I am attaching the MPW and PTN files for anyone to look at and see if anyone has any ideas as to what I can do. I am not a graphics person but learning a little here and there. I had to zip the MPW file because it would not let me upload it as it was.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Jones
    Attached Files Attached Files

Chris, I do not use pattern editor, so I can't help there. Was the PDF in color or gray scale? You want to have the vines to be a couple of shades darker than your cross. The greater the difference the more dimension you will have. I use external software to do this. I was able to take your MPW and paint it in the editor, but mostly I suck at doing it that way

If you post the PDF, I can see what I can do.

Here is the entire PDF file. I downloaded it from Scrollsawworkshop, Steve Good site. The Merry Christmas I think I have cleaned up plenty well. It is just the vines and leave that I am not sure how to make them stand out more.

Thanks for your help,

Chris Jones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails christmascross.pdf  

I made the lines bolder in the attached file.

I did notice that in your file ( on the left), setting bit optimization to best also brought out the lines better.

Also, if you add a circle at 1/4 in you will not get the odd peaks/valleys . Play with the depth to get the effect you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross.PNG   christmascross.png   Circle.PNG  
    Last edited by DianMayfield; 12-06-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added circle

This may be too much information

I use Corel,, but Inkscape is free. It will pull things from a PDF. Even let you select which page. I selected the text and deleted that.
    The you would select the edit by node tool (1)
    Select the line (2)
    Then on the right, select Stroke Style, and change the width. You could also choose the Stoke Paint, and change it to a darker color, so it stands out more.
    Then file/export as PNG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inkscape.PNG  

Thanks, I have inscape installed just do not know how to use it. Will give it a try.

I did set the bit optimization to best and it did enhance the pattern a lot. Will post the final project when I get it done.

Thanks again,

Chris

The cool thing about Inkscape is that you could close all those leaves by moving the nodes closer together if you liked that look better.