Thread: New Project in progress

Default New Project in progress

I carved these out this weekend. I have sanded most of it down and need to stain it now. This will be the first time I have stained in over 20 years so wish me luck.

Any tips on how to stain would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Jones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 X Joy Trees.jpg  

Very nice!

really nice, I use a quick dry oil stain (Varathane) then paint with acrylic and seal with clear. Oil stain seals the wood and keeps your paint from bleeding.

Great pattern! My advice, wear gloves

Quote Originally Posted by cjones View Post
    I carved these out this weekend. I have sanded most of it down and need to stain it now. This will be the first time I have stained in over 20 years so wish me luck.

Any tips on how to stain would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Jones
    Hi Chris,

On page 3 of the PDF instructions included with this project, take a look at Step 4. This details how I applied the finish step-by-step (sealer,stain, topcoat and gold lettering). Hopefully, this will give you some hints you find helpful.

In case anyone is curious, this is the Joy Tree project I created for the Nov 2009 POM. It's posted at the CarveWright store:

http://store.carvewright.com/product...58&cat=&page=1
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-08-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks Michael. My biggest issue with these was the actual wood. It was a piece I found by itself at lowes that was pretty clean so I thought I would give it a try. Board ended up being really grainy, causing a lot of problems to sand smooth. It also soaked in the sealer pretty quickly so when I applied the stain, the heavy grain still showed through. Next, I had one of them dry very slow. Come to find out it was an old can of stain I had already and it was oil based. The other stained fine. I didn't get them ready for a show we did yesterday but I did display them as for people to see what I could make. I stained the letters while at the show.

Here is a picture after the topcoat that I just applied today. The one on the left was the oil based stain, cherry. The one on the right I used Minwax red mahogany.

Thanks again,

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20171210_16_09_32_Pro.jpg  

Both came out really nice! Thanks for showing us the photos!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══