Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut out

Default Cut out

Just looking for info. or opinions when setting up a cut path. I have always *flipped* my cut path and it will leave an edge to be sanded away. Have not cut with out the *flipped* method. I am carving a scroll plaque that has many jagged edges (we have seen the pattern here many times). My question to the forum is; would you use flip cut on this project, why and when to use and not use flip cut? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Just looking for info. or opinions when setting up a cut path. I have always *flipped* my cut path and it will leave an edge to be sanded away. Have not cut with out the *flipped* method. I am carving a scroll plaque that has many jagged edges (we have seen the pattern here many times). My question to the forum is; would you use flip cut on this project, why and when to use and not use flip cut? Thank you in advance.
    It depends on which part you want to keep. If you assign a bit to a vector the center or point of the bit will cut on the center of the line. The cutout tool compensates for the radius of the bit. If the inside of the cutout is the part you want to keep then flip the cut to the outside so the measurements are accurate. If you need to make slight adjustments use the "inset" setting in the cutout dialogue box. The "inset" setting will also accept negative values.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Steve

Good morning Steve, thank you for your reply. Will the cut be the same where it will have a lip to be sanded off or will it be straight down? Thanks again.

The cutout tool will cut all the way through the board and leave tabs to keep the part from flying around in the machine. You can setup the size and number (somewhat) of the tabs in the cutout tool dialogue box. They can't be seen in the preview and you can't control where they are placed.

The walls of the cutout will be vertical because the cutout bits are straight and do not have a taper.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    Steve

Another technique for doing cutouts is pierced. This uses only the carving bit and all waste wood is carved away. The tabs will have to be placed manually so you can control the size and placement. Since the 1/16" carving bit is tapered the walls will be tapered. This technique is usually used for cutting out areas where the 1/8" cutting bit cannot fit and tabs are not appropriate. Here is a link to a video that I made awhile back showing how I made the Pierced Heart shown in the pic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJebmlNa1AtT19lWkk/view?usp=sharing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pierced heart.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-15-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Steve

Great job of explaining the cutting choices Steve! Another example of the forum members helping each other!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    I am carving a scroll plaque that has many jagged edges (we have seen the pattern here many times).
    Post your project anyway - I would like to see exactly what you are doing to give the best advise.

Thanks Steve, that really is great info. I will try the different techniques this week. Dick, I will try to post then and maybe I can explain better. Thank you.

Once the pattern is on the board, what is the procedure to cut out an object?
    Thanks, Don

Quote Originally Posted by dongear View Post
    Once the pattern is on the board, what is the procedure to cut out an object?
    Thanks, Don
    After you get the pattern sized and placed select the outline tool. With the outline highlighted select the cut path tool. This will open out the input box so that you can set the number, style and height of the tabs. The max pass box is for doing the cut path in more than one pass. Input the depth per pass if you do not want to do in one pass. Bottom left corner is the "flip cut". The default is for the bit to be "on" the line, toggling the flip cut will move the bit to the outside of the line. Zoom in on the board to view the line placement.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast