Thread: New to the forums with a few questions

1. Default New to the forums with a few questions

Hi all, name is Ken and I am soon to be the proud owner of a carvewright machine. My father in law has purchased a new machine and has offered to give me his original one which he's owned for almost 10 years! He has been having a few issues with the NEW one and has been working on getting it working for a while now. I live in a different state, and have been visiting over the holiday. He would rather not give me the old machine until he can get the new one up and running. While helping him out with his new machine, we ran the X, Y, Z as well as the cut motor test. Since we ran the tests on the new machine, I thought I'd also run the test on the old machine as well. I've searched for the "normal parameters" for the results of the test but have not yet been able to find any answers. I'll probably have to speak to a carvewright technician, but I thought I'd ask this group if anyone else might know? I was quite surprised after running the test on both machines the difference between the two. The results are as follows

Original machine Results-
    Test X A:106.02 M 125.56
    Test Y A: 90.02 M 256.00
    Test Z A: 47.78 M 100.81

New Machine Results-
    Test X A: 105.58 M 133.98
    Test Y A: 53.25 M 190.83
    Test Z A: 49.07 M 88.27

Has anyone else run these tests before and are these results within the normal parameters?
    One other question, since he is giving this machine to me, is there a "transfer" procedure that we will need to do so I can register it and the software in my name?
    Thanks in advance and happy carving!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T818A using Tapatalk

Ken,

Welcome to the CarveWright forum and community.

For the "user" the numbers on the axis tests do not mean much to us. They might tell the CW techs something but not real sure on that either. What the user needs to be aware of is that you do not get any stall errors and you get nice smooth movements of the trucks.

To get the machine transferred to you your father in law needs to have CarveWright release the serial number of the machine so that you can register it in your name. A quick phone call is all that is needed.

What kind of issues is he having with the new machine?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Ken,

Welcome to the CarveWright forum and community.

For the "user" the numbers on the axis tests do not mean much to us. They might tell the CW techs something but not real sure on that either. What the user needs to be aware of is that you do not get any stall errors and you get nice smooth movements of the trucks.

To get the machine transferred to you your father in law needs to have CarveWright release the serial number of the machine so that you can register it in your name. A quick phone call is all that is needed.

What kind of issues is he having with the new machine?
    Thanks for the reply, he was having cut motor issues as well as a few other things, one being the right side cover switch. I think that we have them resolved, but Dad is not completely convinced of it. I'm heading home tomorrow morning and was hoping to take the old/new to me machine with me, but until Dad is convinced, it will remain here with him. Maybe next trip all of the issues will be resolved and she can come home with me. I'm in no rush honestly, I just want him to be comfortable with it coming home with me and his new machine working as it should be. Appreciate the help.

The right side cover switch is also the cut motor switch. The clear cover might be out of alignment from shipping. With a new machine you should always check the head pressure and do the 4 corner post alignment if the head is hard to crank up and down.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    The right side cover switch is also the cut motor switch. The clear cover might be out of alignment from shipping. With a new machine you should always check the head pressure and do the 4 corner post alignment if the head is hard to crank up and down.
    Yes Sir, those were some of the things that we had to check, as well as the X, Y, Z tests. It was just out of my own curiosity as to the results of the tests.