Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying for basic functioanality

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    The keyhole bit add-on is indeed necessary if using the CarveWright CNC to do it. That add-on calculates the toolpath for the keyhole bit to plunge into the material, move the bit whilst still plunged under the material surface to create the undercut slot, then move backwards along that same trajectory, then retract the bit to exit the material at exactly the same spot it had entered. The Keyhole add-on assures this is done safely and accurately.

This is very handy and reliable, when a user wants to use their CarveWright CNC to perform this procedure for them instead of using a hand-held router and bit. (I admit, using a hand-held router is a lot quicker and is likely the most practical method for folks who can hand-route a keyhole slot with reasonable precision.)

My "other" $$$$ CNC software has special gadgets for calculating toolpaths for keyhole bits, too, BTW.
    I wasn't saying the keyhole bit doesn't need special programming (though early on users did find ways to do it with basic software, understandably not as safe that way). I was saying IMO the keyhole bit ability alone was not worthy of it's own add on, and if it was, perhaps the other 20 or so CW-programmed bits should be as well, since many users only use two or three different bits anyway.

The Keyhole Function software is $39.99 regular price and includes the bit. Most of the decorative routing bits are in that range. In this case, the bit can be purchased for $24.99, so the software feature is $15. Can you buy a keyhole bit for less than $24.99 and do it by hand? Of course, you can.

For those that might ask, can I just buy the software feature for $15 and buy my own bit...no you cannot.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    The Keyhole Function software is $39.99 regular price and includes the bit. Most of the decorative routing bits are in that range. In this case, the bit can be purchased for $24.99, so the software feature is $15. Can you buy a keyhole bit for less than $24.99 and do it by hand? Of course, you can.

For those that might ask, can I just buy the software feature for $15 and buy my own bit...no you cannot.
    Ah, I totally missed that it came with the bit, despite reading the description a few times - that does make the price reasonable. Well, if you need the bit...

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    (I admit, using a hand-held router is a lot quicker and is likely the most practical method for folks who can hand-route a keyhole slot with reasonable precision.)
    A simple jig makes keyhole slots with a handheld router precise, quick, and easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171130_125901.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	877.9 KB 
ID:	85137 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171130_125919.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	85138

I thought up a jig to make a triangular-shaped keyholes (Though I might not be the first to come up with it). It works great for heavier items as it allows the use of cabinet type screws or the like. But more importantly, it was designed for items that would be repeatedly hung and unhung from a wall, like this cribbage board. The few I have made have held up great.

Also might be interesting, the slot for the peg storage I also cut with a cheap steel keyhole bit, ground down so it would make a 1/16" slot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5787 (Large2).JPG  

I do my key holes on the router table and run them horizontally on the board. I mark the center of the board and a line on each side of center that is 1/2" to 3/4" from the center.

https://youtu.be/t5TXVzlAuzw
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12