Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for basic functioanality

1. Default Paying for basic functioanality

Okay, I understand that Carvewright isn't a charity and they need to make money but charging $200 to let you do something that should be a basic function of the software is a bit much. I imported an image into the software to use as a pattern for a project I'm doing for our local soil and water district. I tried a test carving and found that I needed to change the size and depth slightly. Should be simple, right? Nope! I went to redo the project and right clicked on MY pattern. I changed my sizes and depth. Wasn't sure what to do from there, so I went to close the box and it asked if I wanted to save my changes. Of course I did so I clicked on save. I was then informed that I wasn't allowed to do this simple thing because I hadn't spent $200 for the Pattern Editor software add-on. it just seems to me that the ability to change and save your own pattern should be a basic function of the software, not cost $200 extra. So now I have to delete my old pattern, reimport my image, and then make my changes and save it again. It seems stupid to have to do all that for something that should be extremely simple. Don't what the software enginerds were thinking but it seems like it was more about making profits for the company than making thing easy for the customer! Sorry for the rant, this makes no sense to me at all...

You can adjust the depth, height and size of the pattern on your design board. The pattern editor software is more for cleaning up and enhancing detail, removing unwanted areas and much more.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have felt this way all week, you want centerline text? $99. You want this? $199, and so on. I wonder how many people would buy them if they knew everything you had to add after the fact to get the extras.

want to sell yours? Even if you bought all the software and hardware available its cheaper than other machines with fewer capabilities. The add ons are great. You don't have to buy them until you need them or can afford them.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Kind of funny reminder of different points of view at different points in time!

When I bought my CarveWright-CompuCarve machines from Sears, the only add-on available was the Scanning Probe with the Pattern Editor. That's all! ...and, I was happy as a clam! I created dozens and dozens of cool projects with the Basic software and the Probe to make my own patterns.

Now, CarveWright has created many more options available for their customers. All of them are optional and you only purchase what you need for what YOU want to do. I'm thankful for that because it spreads out a major sticker shock as compared to Brand-x software that includes features you may not ever need, but you pay for anyway, all at once!

So, from my point of view and from where me and many others started from over a decade ago, we have no problem with purchasing add-ons as they became available.

Some newer folks point of view is "I want it all, so give it to me, because it's supposed to be that way!"

Different time, different points of view. Rather funny.

...and Yes! The Basic Designer software that comes with every machine allows you to resize, change depth and height of patterns already! No need whatsoever to buy anything extra for those obvious functions!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 11-27-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

All 9 add-ons are available for $1189.92. That may, very well, as Michael pointed out, be a game changer for some that can't swing that much or don't need that much, if we were to require you to get all or nothing. This building block method of adding software as your budget allows, skill levels increase or projects require has worked out very well and there is no intent to require our customers buy all of the bells and whistles in order to enjoy their system.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I am ok with the add-on method, but have always seen the CW add-ons as a bit "kludgy". I don't think I should have to purchase the pro version for an upgrade in centerline. I'll never use the keyhole option (I use a seperate router and jig for that) but it's just a bit - Not sure that needs it's own add-on? If that was the plan, every bit should have been an add-on - I know many here rarely stray from a straight bit and a carving bit.

Beyond the add-ons, I think the biggest mistake is not having a better trial software system. I likely would have convinced myself to buy more add-ons and/or upgraded to pro, If I could play with it more (or at all in the case of some add-ons). I'm not quite sure what the logic is in not allowing people to play with the software indefinitely if they can't carve anything that includes any unpaid for add-ons. I have friends who have inquired about the CW and it's software, and often by the time they start understanding the software, the trial is over so they lose interest.

So I've kind of settled with being comfortable with basic, centerline, and conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Beyond the add-ons, I think the biggest mistake is not having a better trial software system. I likely would have convinced myself to buy more add-ons and/or upgraded to pro, If I could play with it more (or at all in the case of some add-ons). I'm not quite sure what the logic is in not allowing people to play with the software indefinitely if they can't carve anything that includes any unpaid for add-ons. I have friends who have inquired about the CW and it's software, and often by the time they start understanding the software, the trial is over so they lose interest.

So I've kind of settled with being comfortable with basic, centerline, and conforming vectors.
    If I recall correctly, if you contact CarveWright they can/will extend the 30 day trial period so that you can demo the add on features. Also most of those features are available in the free version.

http://www.carvewright.com/project-designer/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The PRO version was a total rewrite of the underlying foundation of Designer Software. Any feature added to that new foundation (such as Centerline Text algorithms rewritten for more efficient and cleaner cut) would require twice the programming to add to the old foundation. We will not be adding new features to the old foundation; only the new foundation.

All add-ons are included in the software to play with, except 2d Vector Drawing Suite. This is because we cannot protect it from being used without the license.

If anyone needs the demo version extended, let me know. The demo version is nothing more than an unregistered version of Designer.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    ... I'll never use the keyhole option (I use a seperate router and jig for that) but it's just a bit - Not sure that needs it's own add-on?...
    The keyhole bit add-on is indeed necessary if using the CarveWright CNC to do it. That add-on calculates the toolpath for the keyhole bit to plunge into the material, move the bit whilst still plunged under the material surface to create the undercut slot, then move backwards along that same trajectory, then retract the bit to exit the material at exactly the same spot it had entered. The Keyhole add-on assures this is done safely and accurately.

This is very handy and reliable, when a user wants to use their CarveWright CNC to perform this procedure for them instead of using a hand-held router and bit. (I admit, using a hand-held router is a lot quicker and is likely the most practical method for folks who can hand-route a keyhole slot with reasonable precision.)

My "other" $$$$ CNC software has special gadgets for calculating toolpaths for keyhole bits, too, BTW.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast