Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting too deep.

Default Cutting too deep.

I have a couple of patterns I am trying to test and none of them show any cuts deeper than .250". The board settings are .5" Thick and the actual board I was testing with was almost .750"
    In project designer none of the projects show a cut through the board or any other cuts or patterns going through the wood. But alas all tests cut through the board. I admit I am new, so I might just being doing something simple wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

S.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I see nothing in the mpc which would explain cutting so deep. There must be something a miss with the z motor system.

The bit needs to be inserted in the chuck within a specific range to function properly.

A couple of questions:

Are you inserting the bit into the chuck to the same EXACT location each time? This usually requires a stop collar.

Is the bit touching the swing-out bit plate and the surface of the board during the "finding bit" phase?

Are you getting any messages about "the bit length does not match?"

Okay, 3 questions.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-22-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by moethgreat View Post
    I have a couple of patterns I am trying to test and none of them show any cuts deeper than .250". The board settings are .5" Thick and the actual board I was testing with was almost .750"
    In project designer none of the projects show a cut through the board or any other cuts or patterns going through the wood. But alas all tests cut through the board. I admit I am new, so I might just being doing something simple wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

S.
    You need to set the design board thickness to be the same as the thickness of the board you will be carving on. In your test ornaments mpc your board thickness in 0.750". For the outline path of your ornaments you are not using a cut path tool to cut these out, You have just applied a bit to the path at a depth of .250"
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

How about posting a photo of the result?

I see a number of potential issues with your project, although none that would explain the cut through the board. A photo may help.

I tried a simple project with a single circle cutout and start from the default pattern set. I reloaded the carving bit and had no problems. I looked at the motor, cables etc and didn't see or change anything. It might have just been the bit. I will try the problem project again and let you know.

Thanks for the help.

S.

Well we have have gone from too deep to not enough...or not consistent enough.
    Both attached pics are different sized circles. And the country outline is also different depths and should be the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1565.JPG   IMG_1566.JPG  

Is your Head LEVEL?
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

How would I test? How would I know?

Check the on line documents for aligning the 4 corner posts and leveling the head.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast