Thread: Importing a simple line JPG into a pattern.

Default Importing a simple line JPG into a pattern.

Howdy,

i have a project to do and it involves si ply cutting out 5 country outlines. I have a jpg with a line drawing of the country and just want to import it. The line is the only part I want, but it seems to import some kind of depression around the line. Is this because when imported it assumed the pattern is shallower than the board dimensions I started with?

I am looking to cut out 1/4 wood with the map outline to make a simple ornament.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks in advance for helping a noob out.

Thanks,
    S.

When you import the image in the import window us the lower button to remove the image back ground.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1563.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	85102Thanks for the reply, when I import a file, select from the clipboard or a file, I hit next and then my options are Size, and Options which includes depth, invert and Floor Edges. I've tried the floor edges off and on and it always looks the same. I've also tried different depths. It doesn't seem to help. I don't see any other lower buttons.

im using project designer 3 if that helps.

On the left of the screen under Options there are up and down arrows, click on the down arrow until the backgroud dissappears

When an image is imported as a pattern it will carve as a raster carving. You are probably looking for just the lines as vectors. The best way is to import an image for tracing from the import menu. This will set the wood background as your image. Then you can use the line tools in the designer to trace over the lines in the image. Use the "Wood" tool to turn the image on and off. The only other way to get just the lines is to have the file as a .dxf and then import using the DXF importer. I usually use Corel Draw to auto-trace an image, export it as a .dxf file and then import it into the Designer.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-21-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Steve