Thread: Dulcimer neck scroll pattern

Default Dulcimer neck scroll pattern

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dulcimer scroll.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	85066I have searched the patterns in the store and forum but cant find a pattern for the neck of a dulcimer. Will the CW carve this type of design? If so, anybody know where I can find a pattern for it? I've attached a picture of what I'm looking for.
    I have had my CW for several years but only use it occasionally. Another question I have is whether I can put a carve region over a registered pattern to "carve away" part of it I don't want. I've tried and the pattern always remains in the carve region. What am I doing wrong?

thanks, Dave

Dave,

For the question of the dulcimer neck it is definitely possible. depending on the width you are looking for I would do it as a glued segmented piece with 3 to 4 piece. It is very difficult to get a good pattern from a tilted image (at least on how I do patterns). For a piece part that will need to fit precisely onto the body you do need some sort of plan (blue print) with dimensions unless you are very familiar with the instrument and already know what you need. I personally have never seen a dulcimer so no clue on what the "proper" dimensions should be.

I did a quick mock up pattern to show what I meant. The pattern is really rough and is meant only for playing with different mock ups for you to figure out which way you want to create the neck.

Good luck.

Oscar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW dulcimer neck.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I forget the guys name but he does the Liquid Guitars and Violins with his CW. Brandon I believe is his name, here is a web page I found, http://www.liquidguitars.com/E-Violins/e-violins.html There may be a way to contact him, haven't seen him on the forum in a long time. Good luck.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

That looks extremely close to what I need. How did you do it? A 3rd party program? Can it be done in the "basic" software or do you have to do it in another and import it?

thanks, Dave
    Yet, Another Newbie

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I've seen his posts also. I'll try to reach out to him.
    Yet, Another Newbie

Dave, I use a third party 3d software, blender 3d. The gentlemen is Liquidguitar and he also uses a third party 3d software. If I remember correctly he used lightwave 3d. But he is very good with it and creates masterpieces with violins and other musical instruments from what he has shown and on his website.

Thanks Oscar!
    Yet, Another Newbie