Thread: cutting thru board

Default cutting thru board

my machine is cutting thru the board when I start a project it does not matter what the depth is set at it starts to carve then goes rite thru board.
    Thanks davidbf

Is this during a pattern carve or a cut out? I would look at a dirty encoder disc in the Z motor, bad/torn FFC cable, missing teeth on the Z belt or pulley gear. It could even be the Z motor.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

the belt, cable and pully gear look fine. Can u tell me how to clean the encoder disc

Quote Originally Posted by davidbf View Post
    my machine is cutting thru the board when I start a project it does not matter what the depth is set at it starts to carve then goes rite thru board.
    Thanks davidbf
    Are you using a bit that has a pressed on sleeve from LHR or one that requires a collet? If it's the latter, you are probably not inserting the bit within the accepted depth range and you will need to use a stop collar to insure the bit is inserted to the same position each time it is used. Also, Is the bit touching the board surface and the swing out bit plate during the setup?
    Steve

So I assume if you made a 2 inch circle and assigned a carve region to it at a shallow depth then it would drill through the board?? This is to separate a software problem with a pattern and a hardware problem like mentioned above.... FFC Cable, Encoder, Bad Z Motor.....

SO lets start with....

IS this a 14 pin FFC Cable or the older 18 pin FFC Cable.... This drill through was a big problem in 2007... Not sure the age of your machine. Early "A" Machines had problems like this.

See pictures of 14 verses 18 pin. Never mix parts between a 18 and 14 as it will short out the computer in the machine. In the picture I call it a 16 pin but it is a 18 pin.

Dirty Encoder could cause this or even a bad encoder or motor. See Pictures...

Let us know and we will go from here. Sometimes it is as simple as the flex shaft cover catches on the black plastic cover slot on the UP stroke and it keeps driving down.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03367_WEB.jpg   DSC01478_WEB.jpg   DSC01476_WEB.jpg   DSC06545_WEB.jpg  

DSC07498_WEB.jpg   DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06659_WEB.jpg   DSC06657_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Hey Al,
    My machine is a B so I would say its the 18 pin ( not sure } I will pull it apart and clean the Z motor and everything around it, the cable is good no bends or folds that should not be there. When I try to carve a name plate it starts fine for a couple of minutes then goes thru the board. The bit is touching the kick out plate and the wood. Everything works as it should except cutting thru the board. I will let you know what happens after another good cleaning. Thanks Al, U the man

Thanks,

So it would be the 14 pin on a "B" machine. Thicker wires better current to the motor.

I would order a FFC Cable. The copper is thin and held between plastic and when it fractures, the ends touch then don't touch.

A encoder test... Options, Sensor Data, and Z Data. Where ever the Z is when you select Z Data will read 0000 so by putting the head up at the TOP PIN before makes this test easier. Now move the head up and down a few times while it is stationary in Y. Return to the top pin and it should be 0000. It counts 0001, 0002 as it moves due to the pulses of the encoder. It's just a counter.

Second test, move the Y at the same time as the Z or manually move the FFC Cable. Likely this will show a different number when returning to the 0000 pin showing a intermittent FFC Cable.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com