Thread: Figuring out slicing & using meshlab (or similar) to shrink and clean up files

Default Figuring out slicing & using meshlab (or similar) to shrink and clean up files

I have used the STL importer for my rotary jig, and for very simple .stl models which are straightforward - just slice off a side or two, maybe the front and back, and then make 0.5" or 0.75" slices of the rest of it. But I have a few models which are, in my estimation, far more troublesome to figure out how and where to slice them. Looking to get some help. Unfortunately, the stl file I have is copyrighted... so I don't feel I can freely post it to the forum. But here's a picture or three (and I can give more if needed) - and for reference, it is 2.25" thick (so three slices thick, assuming 1" nominal material) by 19.356" x 22.244".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2dragons2.PNG 
Views:	28 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	85021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2dragons13.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	466.4 KB 
ID:	85020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2dragons1.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	85022

Additionally, I used meshlab as best I could to clean this up with minimal loss of detail - following the guides here in the carvewright forums. However, it feels that I did end up losing a bit too much. The roman numerals have all but disappeared; though I planned to edit the pattern to remove them anyway, and use centerline numbers; so in this case it is not a huge issue. But that could have been a major problem if I had wanted to keep them. I also have tried other .stl models which meshlabs (even using the recommended settings, as well as playing with the values to try and get it to work better) will slightly or completely warp or skew the model and render it useless. Yet I have quite a few .stl files which are too large for the STL importer to open without crashing.

So, I would love to get some advice on using the importer, and with meshlab or another similar software, from someone who has a bit more experience than I do. Otherwise, the money I spent on the importer has started to feel like it was a big waste...for what I spent and the number of times I have successfully used it, I could probably have just paid someone to import the models for me, and send me the files. And really, the money is only a minor part of it. I just hate feeling like I am not able to do this. I am fairly proficient with a lot of graphics programs, and am not completely lost with 3D modeling in general. But for some reason, I seem to be having more than normal amount of difficulty in figuring this out.
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Have you thought about using a long carving bit? Thickness slicing when sides are near vertical seems problematic to me. The glue up and finishing would be hard. I think I would just carve it in two halves. Maybe you could half it in meshlab to get two smaller stl's to import.

I had thought about it, but I really want the scales on the dragons' back/tails to be carved... which means I have to slice them off somehow, since leaving them on the sides like that would make it impossible.
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline