Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lines in my carving

Default lines in my carving

I am new with the carvewright. I bought it to reproduce my carvings for resale. However, here is what I have been doing:
    the wood is maple, ran on normal setting, choose 1/32 bit. I am left with a rough carving with lines instead of smooth finish. I have looked at others work and can not get the same results. I need some help!!! if anyone lives near Columbus Georgia, perhaps we could get together for assistance...

Quote Originally Posted by Twocarvers View Post
    I am new with the carvewright. I bought it to reproduce my carvings for resale. However, here is what I have been doing:
    the wood is maple, ran on normal setting, choose 1/32 bit. I am left with a rough carving with lines instead of smooth finish. I have looked at others work and can not get the same results. I need some help!!! if anyone lives near Columbus Georgia, perhaps we could get together for assistance...
    You have to go into the software and tell it you are using the 1/32" bit instead of the 1/16" bit.
    Go to EDIT > BOARD SETTINGS > PATTERN BIT > change from 1/16" (default) to 1/32"

It is making passes like it is a 1/16" bit and twice as thick as it actually is.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Normal will give you a rougher carving than best or optimal settings. Also when setting up your design make sure you set the "bit optimization" to best. If you are going to use the 1/32" bit make sure you change the "pattern bit" default bit setting in the board settings.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xmas.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	85017where is the "bit optimization" located? I have been selecting the 1/32 bit in the option when loading bit. Here is a sample of what I am getting. Even on Best, I get similar look. Never looks finished.

The bit optimization tool should be on your tool bar or after selecting the pattern right click your mouse. Changing the bit at the machine will not give you the results you designed for. When the project is uploaded to the card it is setting everything on how it was designed. Making a change at the machine does not reset your design to the new bit.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

ok, that makes sense. I will try that. Than you.

Thank you very much for that tip. I will try it and get back with you all.

It doesn't look like you have added any draft to your lettering. That very narrow stroke on the letter M is subject to tear out. I would add small or medium draft.

Is it ok to use the 1/32 bit for my carvings, or is another bit a better choice?

What is draft? I am loosing pieces of letters each time I try.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    It doesn't look like you have added any draft to your lettering. That very narrow stroke on the letter M is subject to tear out. I would add small or medium draft.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast