Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique silver finish? How to.

Default Antique silver finish? How to.

A customer is looking for an antique silver finish like the photo. I've read up on a few ways to do this, but I've never done anything like this. Any pointers? details appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique silver.PNG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	84978

I think I would use Acrylic (water based) I would first seal the piece with a quick dry oil based stain. I don't like using primer as the more coats and thicker the more detail you lose. Then paint the whole piece antique silver metallic base. 2nd paint the lettering and accents gold metallic. Let dry completely. Use black and brush in to give depth wipe off extra (before it dries)with damp clean cloth this will give the antique effect. When dry you can clear coat or not depending on the look you want.

I just applied a coat of silver. Previously I applied a textured paint to the center, then sanded the tops of the letters smooth. This makes it look like it more like a casting in my opinion. The clock is 26" in diameter,done in two pieces of course, MDF with Minwax Sanding Sealer as a base. We'll see how well I do at antique finish next.

Name:	20171114_122520.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	85067

Looking great so far, Dick! I agree with rmock for completing the finish. It's going to be wonderful!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Looking really good. Excellent work!!!

The smooth parts are really smooth. The textured paint in an interesting touch. Do you carve out the back for the clock movement?
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    The smooth parts are really smooth. The textured paint in an interesting touch. Do you carve out the back for the clock movement?
    Generally I do, but as this one was done in two pieces it would have meant carving at the edge of each board. So I used a router after the two halves were assembled.

How are you coming along with the clock, Dick? I'm looking forward to some more pics of your work!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Just finished. Black acrylic paint followed by Rust-oleum matte clear spray. "Liquid Leaf" gold paint applied last. This paint does look a lot like gold leaf, but when I experimented with it and a clear top coat the clear caused discoloration, so it needs to be applied last.

Name:	20171118_084252.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	85082

Very cool! Excellent!!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast