Thread: Custom clock

Default Custom clock

Aligning parts for a custom 22" diameter clock project:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171011_172953.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	84905

The customer provided a very good quality pdf of this logo. I used paint.net to break it into several different parts in preparation for V carving. This was necessary for a few reasons, one of which is that the logo has both very wide and very narrow strokes. The narrow strokes are best carved with the 60 degree V bit, but the wide strokes need the 90 degree V bit to avoid double-pass carves. I used free software to convert the customers black-and-white image into glyphs to create a custom font for Centerline Text. For example, the "and", "K & J", the grouping of dots, and stars are all separate characters in this font. The font software and the newer font engine in Designer 3 did not get along, so I used Designer 1.

The design was split onto the three boards in a way to minimize the requirement to match up carvings. For example, none of the stars or dots are spread across two boards. The center board is 14.5" wide. I overlapped the carvings on each board a bit, then precisely trimmed with the table saw to fit. To get the outer circles to match required very precise cuts. Since it is much easier to trim and clamp square boards together for gluing, I did not use the cutout tool, but cut the outer circle only .25" deep. I will cut the rest with a hand-held jig saw and finish with a router trim bit once the glue has cured.

Well thought out. (Maybe a jointer should be on you Christmas wish list.)

Thanks.

Many, many years ago I went to a woodworking show and saw a demonstration of Forrest saw blades. I was very impressed and purchased one. Still using it although I have sent it back for sharpening several times. Not inexpensive but considering the use I have gotten out of it well worth the cost in my opinion. It makes very clean cuts with no scratching. I find a jointer not necessary.

Nice job Dick. Especially since you only used hand-held power tools and a table saw for assembly. I use Forrest blades also. IMHO they are one of the best blades on the market.
    Steve

Very nice, that took a lot of thought and planning.

Thanks guys. I spent more time on this one designing than machining, assembling, and finishing. Fortunately I can pick and choose what projects I will accept. Some projects, like this one, I find interesting and challenging, so I like to take them on, to see if I and my machine can do it.

As with everyone else, a great project. I'm still trying to get my head around the design/layout to make it work. Also with several above I have a Forrest blade and love it. It stays in the closet and only comes out for special cuts. Thx for sharing, haven't done anything needing to have multiple cuts joined. Great job!
    Rick H

Very nice! Kind of reminds me of the Jetson's cartoon series for some reason!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Dick, nice project as usual! I'm like you too... a table saw with a sharp freud blade does a great job jointing a tight glue edge.

10. Default

Nice job sir. Hopefully I will be doing stuff like that when I get my new setup running.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast