Thread: OCTOBER 2017 Project of the Month - Stacked Swinging Trays!

Default OCTOBER 2017 Project of the Month - Stacked Swinging Trays!

Hello,

The Stacked Swinging Trays project is attractive and useful for many applications, plus it makes a great gift! The tray assembly can be used on a desktop for holding tacks, paper clips, rubber bands and other small office items, as desired. It can also be used as a candy dispenser/holder or even as a set of trays for jewelry!

The base has a hidden weight (a $2 small 2.5 lb. round barbel weight), but that is optional. An alternate mpc is included if you decide you don’t need a weighted base. The project uses just the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

With trays fully swung out, the dimensions are about 9.5" Tall x 9.5" Diameter

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):

• Base_Main.mpc or Base_No_Weight.mpc
    • Tray_Layout.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:

Base: 0.75" x 11" x 21"
    Trays: 0.75" x 11" x 30"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

3) 1" x 9.375" wooden dowel, a candle, 2.5 lb round barbel weight (optional)

4) Sandpaper, quick-set epoxy, wood glue, clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits. A spindle sander and small belt sander is also recommended to speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Stacked Swinging Trays sample made from Select Pine:

• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Golden Mahogany
    • Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails raw-wood-test-fit_550x547.png   finished-parts_550x387.png   Trays_side-view_550x559.png   Trays-w-dektop-items_550x551.png  

Trays-w-Jewelry_550x509.png   Stacked_Swinging_Trays_430x430.png  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Great project Michael!!! Will make a very useful Christmas present with plenty of time to finish! Thanks for your very creative project!!

I have Not received mine yet will have to check with Connie to see if my subscription ran out?

It will probably start being distributed tomorrow. I was late getting the files to them and I think the server has to process them overnight during non-business hours.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by dbemus View Post
    Great project Michael!!! Will make a very useful Christmas present with plenty of time to finish! Thanks for your very creative project!!
    Thank you! Yes, I'm making a couple more as gifts also!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I was showing some friends the dancing Christmas Tree, from last year, a few days ago. They were totally amused by that project and I ended up giving it to the waitress in the restaurant!! It is now on display at the counter.

That was very nice of you! I'm getting ready to attend a CNC software User Group in Vegas next week and started gathering up project samples to ship ahead. I found myself playing with my Dancing Christmas Tree project just this morning! (I'm leaving it home though - afraid it might not make it back!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!