I got my CompuCarve/Carvewright machine a few years ago used. Never really had time to mess around with it until lately. I’m having an issue with the elevation crank. At first I thought it was the ratcheting mechanism, so I disassembled the side panel to get to the crank mechanism. After disassembling and close examination of the ratchet system, I found nothing wrong there. After reinstalling everything and still having issues, I noticed that the problem was actually the two gears slipping. It appears that the top of the vertical shaft is supposed to fit into a brass bushing in the upper plastic housing. Mine does not stick up far enough to go into that bushing, so the gears push the teeth apart when I try to raise or lower the elevation. I have been able to find a reason for that. I have checked the fit of the metal side panel into the top and plastic pieces, and they are fully seated. It appears as if the shaft is about a 1/4” too short. Also, there is an e-clip on top of the gear on the vertical shaft that does nothing. There is no groove for it fit in, and I can lift the gear off the shaft without touching the clip. In fact the clip is still laying on top of the gear when I remove it. I’m wondering if this machine wasnt assembled correctly from the factory, and the original owner never bothered with trying to get it fixed. Has any one else ever ran into this issue? If so, how did you fix it?