Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Template

Thanks everyone for all of the assistance. I just uploaded the MPC to my card and now it will only take 33 minutes. Much better than 2 hours. I am not real sure what a spiral pocket is but it looks much better now.

Now I can start making some signs once I get this template carved this weekend.

Thanks again,

Chris Jones

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    Steve, I feel like I'm in kindergarten , how do you set up a spiral pocket cut, do you have a utube video for this?
    Made these tutorials back in 2011...

Pocket Cutting Tips – Part 1 and 2 – ISSUE 35-36 2011
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

OK, Went out to cut the template this morning and an getting a length error. On the modified layout that Steve did, it stated the length was only 36.???" long. It asked if I wanted to scale to length or something and I said yes, It started the carve but was way short of the ends. I stopped that one and tried my original project file and this time it said my board is only 27.???" long. I know the board is 43" long and I measured it to correct and I was. It is a piece of MDF. Do you think I need to have extra supports since the board is 43" long on both ends. It has asked me to check the measure roller a couple of times. I think it meant the brass roller, sorry, I am not good at remembering exactly what it says.

Thanks,

Chris Jones

If the machine asked you to scale then the width of the actual board is smaller than the board in the designer. You designed the board in the Designer (virtual board) to be 43" by 6" so you will need the actual board to be slightly larger than 49" by 6" (7" rule). Since there will be an extra 3.5" on each end, the board will stay under the rollers during the carve so you can answer NO to stay under the rollers and YES to center the project on the board.

Dian was correct in advising you to use additional support for the in-feed and out-feed tables. Make sure the supports are level with the traction belts and stay that way at all times during the carve.

Most experienced users will tell you to NEVER SCALE!
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-30-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Wording and grammer
    Steve

The board is 6" wide but I added the extra 7 inches into the virtual board. If I removed the 3.5" on each end of the virtual board, then do you think it would measure properly. If you noticed on each end, there is a 3.5" area marked to cover the 7" rule.

I will have to go and get some supports. I think Harbor Freight has them on sale yet this month.

Thanks,

Chris Jones

Quote Originally Posted by cjones View Post
    The board is 6" wide but I added the extra 7 inches into the virtual board. If I removed the 3.5" on each end of the virtual board, then do you think it would measure properly. If you noticed on each end, there is a 3.5" area marked to cover the 7" rule.

I will have to go and get some supports. I think Harbor Freight has them on sale yet this month.

Thanks,

Chris Jones
    That will probably work as long as the machine measures the actual board to be slightly larger in width and length than the virtual board in the Designer and you answer NO to stay under the rollers.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-30-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by cjones View Post
    It asked if I wanted to scale to length or something and I said yes...
    Hi Chris,

Here is an article I wrote back in 2009. Might be helpful for you to read when you have a chance...

Scaling and How to Avoid It! – ISSUE 18 March 2009
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Thanks for the links Michael. If they are part of the Tips & Tricks, I already have them and just need to go back and read them again.

Thanks again.

Hi Chris,

Yes, those are part of the Tips & Tricks series alright. Sometimes I even forget what I wrote about until a question comes up that reminds me!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

OK, just finished cutting the template. Even though Designer said it would only take 34 minutes, it took just over 1 hour and 28 minutes, Go Figure.

I will be carving cedar planks in this template. The planks are the ones you can by from Lowes and Home Depot that are for closets. I cut the template for a piece up to 36" long. My question is, do I need to cut a 3.5" piece to put at the end of shorter boards or will designer know when it see's a difference in the wood, ie cedar plank to template. See attached for what I am referring to.

Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Chris Jones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20171007_12_58_46_Pro[1].jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast