Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop ALMOST back to working order

Very Nice Shop
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks for the nice comments. Enjoying a few days in Reno, Nevada. Need to drop a dollar or two in the machines before heading home.

Nice shop, now I see why you do such nice finish work. Good luck in Reno, hope you hit big.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

SharonB,
    I found my problem. My board was too thick and I needed to check the "pierced" box in both pattern and carve region. I'm posting here because I could not figure out how to post a picture on private message. My finished product is laying on the board. The board shows the problem I was dealing with. Is the 1/16 carving bit taper is not considered in the software? Notice the legs are too thin. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
    Have a great day
    Peter R
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180824_195745.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	86513

Peter.... glad you got the problem worked out. When (if you used the cut path) did you flip the cut line to the outside of your pattern? If the rest of the horse is the right dimension then the pattern is the problem. Glad to help anytime.

Sharon...Cut path was easy to understand. I still don't understand how board thickness works. If the top of the pattern is close to the top of the board, then why are the legs too thin? It's like the software does not consider bit taper when it has to cut deeper due to the "pierced" check box. Thanks for your support...

When you use the pierced feature it sets the bottom of the pattern/design to the bottom of the board (full thickness). To get more thickness you need to adjust the height setting up.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Did you also set your Bit Optimization to BEST? That setting should apply an offset to the bit to allow for the 7-degree taper to not cut into the pattern. This is especially important for Pierced jobs.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Did you also set your Bit Optimization to BEST? That setting should apply an offset to the bit to allow for the 7-degree taper to not cut into the pattern. This is especially important for Pierced jobs.
    Strictly speaking, I beleive Bit Optimization: Best takes into account the diameter of the tip of the bit; I do not think that it accounts for bit taper.

Perhaps, but nevertheless, there is an Offset of the bit that assures the complete pattern is carved. Steep-walled/deep edges can still have some “bit-chew” from the wider diameter of the bit. Some Offset is better than no offset. Adding Draft can also help.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-27-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast