Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z axis stall

Default Z axis stall

Maybe someone here can help. I've been fighting a z axis stall all summer everytime I contact support they have me change a part. I have changed the z motor, the bearings, the ribbon cable the head termination board and even the brushes on the cut motor. After the most recent changing of the head termination board because the z motor wasn's getting power I started a 58 minute carve and got through 14 minutes and there is the error again "Z axis stall Err. E06-0303". Sshut the machine down and tried to restart but as soon as I select the project the error appears doesn't even try to start the run. Any suggestions? I am about ready to toss this thing in the trash

It is to bad we can't get some one by phone or on skype to talk about this ?? ok try this make sure the ribbon is in right in the slot
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo View Post
    Shut the machine down and tried to restart but as soon as I select the project the error appears doesn't even try to start the run.
    Try to start the project again and watch the z truck very closely as it stalls.

If it does a small jerk before the stall, the problem has to do with the encoder data not getting to the controller. This could be the z encoder itself or the wiring.

If it stalls without moving, it may be that power is not getting to the z motor. This could also be the wiring or the power supply or the controller (hope not!).

There is no movement that I can notice. But with the power on there is no resistance in moving the z truck. So i don't think its getting power again that is why they had me change the head termination board.

So you are not getting the 24V to the z motor. Are the other motors getting the 24V? Is there resistance when you try and move the Y?

Gumbo,

I essentially have the same problem that occurred nearly the same way and now my machine is stuck on the Z stall error E06 0313.
    Mine happened about 1 hour into the first carve after installing the rubber traction belts. The bit started cutting
    very odd then the Z stall error came up a few seconds later. I did a restart as the stall error cleared. But I
    immediately killed the carve as the machine was carving in a previously carved area. Now the E06 0313 comes immediately
    after selecting a project.

The Z motor encoder tests show it is working as expected and my encoder cover is clear. I can see inside and there
    is no debris, very clean.

Today following the diagnostic steps, the conclusion is that the head termination board A2060 is not supplying power to the Z motor.
    The test to find this has you power the Z motor using the Y motor plugin. I was getting ready to order the head termination
    board A2060. Then I read your post.

You have a new Z motor, new FFC cable and a new head termination board. Next part is the controller (?) which I see is $300!
    I hope that is not what I have to replace, or you. My machine only has 15 hrs on the cut motor and 17 hrs on the servo.

My guess is wiring since it seems logical a dead controller would kill the Y motor power too. It was asked above, does
    the Y motor have resistance when the machine is powered? Have you run the encoder tests to show the encoder is working?

Or, could the project card be faulty? I have to try that first and will report back.

Edit: Reporting back, that was not the problem.

Have you tried opening up the back of the z encoder? There is a disc inside of there that has been known to come loose, or dust build up in the encoder case. The disc should not rotate at all.

Quick check - 0,8,curser down to test Z
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Update on my machine for Gumbo. I pulled the FFC and brought out my multimeter. All the pathways tested good. But, I see the ribbon from the factory was folded once, unfolded, then refolded at a second point. The FFC replacement directions note this is not good for the cable.

My previous diagnosis led to a dead head termination board, A2060, as the problem. Took the board out and started testing the pathways from the FFC to where they terminate. Yep, one is dead. Using the cheater glasses I can see the solder blob 'looks' different. Not burnt, just a different sheen to the solder blob.

You may want to pull that new head termination board and inspect the backside. Particularly the ones for the FFC connection.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRooney View Post
    Update on my machine for Gumbo. I pulled the FFC and brought out my multimeter. All the pathways tested good. But, I see the ribbon from the factory was folded once, unfolded, then refolded at a second point. The FFC replacement directions note this is not good for the cable.

My previous diagnosis led to a dead head termination board, A2060, as the problem. Took the board out and started testing the pathways from the FFC to where they terminate. Yep, one is dead. Using the cheater glasses I can see the solder blob 'looks' different. Not burnt, just a different sheen to the solder blob.

You may want to pull that new head termination board and inspect the backside. Particularly the ones for the FFC connection.
    f you look with a magnifying glass you may be able to see if the solder joint let go. you then could look to a re-solder instead of replacing. I feel if it is junk, it is worth a quick look, and possible repair. Junk is junk and you can't wreak junk. That is how I view broken items and have saved a few along the way.
    I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast